Review of Northeastern University

By , Wyckoff, NJ

Boston, Massachusetts: Located in the heart of Boston, Northeastern University definitely is considered a city school. In most cases this means no freshly cut green quads with students playing frisbee, no guaranteed peace and quiet, and no strong community feel. Before even visiting the school, students can easily overlook it based on the intimidation of living in such a big city. However, after visiting Northeastern I learned that it is definitely not a school to be overlooked. It is a “global, experiential, research university built on a tradition of engagement with the world” that creates a unique approach to education and research (northeastern.edu). I was truly impressed after the presentation given during the tour. I took away the school’s strong emphasis on the global and diversified learning of a student’s experience. Northeastern University states, “our students shape the world through experiential learning opportunities with nearly 3,100 partners on seven continents” connecting students from over a hundred different countries with the common goal of gaining knowledge. Northeastern’s Co-op (Cooperative Education) Program encourages many students to apply. This is one of the most popular programs at Northeastern and is highly recommended for all students to take part in. These experiences teach students how to grow and gain understanding outside of the classroom setting. While studying abroad students are emerged into the professional workforce and are faced with the responsibilities and pressures of the real world. Northeastern offers exceptional opportunities for its students, with the overarching goal of preparing undergraduates for life after college.

Aside from the learning opportunities provided, Northeastern has more to offer. The school has Division I sports teams that draw student athletes from all over. The athletics program is very accomplished and continues to be successful. As well, the campus is on the larger side for a city school with 73 acres. Throughout the school there is a very modern feel with newly renovated research facilities. The university is also slightly tucked away from the city, creating a community of sorts.  It is considered a large school with around 20,000 total students enrolled. According to College Niche’s list of the  “2017 Best Colleges in America”, Northeastern is rated number 52. Based on the school’s well known reputation, admissions are very competitive, with only a 32% acceptance rate. Northeastern attracts students from around the world, to apply and hopefully become apart of the 32%.
By the end of the tour, the pros of going to a city school, such as Northeastern, seemed to outnumber the cons. Northeastern has so much to offer to students and the location can be easily turned into a positive aspect. The location of the university contributes to the core goals of engaging students into the real world and prepare them for life far after graduation. The urban location connects students to the rest of the world and and provides them with many opportunities that traditional colleges cannot always offer. Northeastern truly epitomizes the experiences and opportunities everyone should have in college.