West Virginia University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Morgantown, WV: I probably would never have considered West Virginia University, but after I visited my sister there it became one of my top choices. The university is located in Morgantown, a small rural city tucked in the hills of West Virginia. This town of about 28,300 is centered around WVU, and the 913-acre campus has plenty of room for its 28,000 students.

We all know the most important aspect of a college is the academics. WVU has 185 degree programs for a wide variety of majors, from forensics to computer science/engineering to forest management. And the campus itself has six libraries, so there are many places to study.

The university was established in 1867, and it still has a unique style. The buildings are mostly simple brick, but the landscape makes up for this fact. Morgantown is a fairly small, ­secluded, laid-back town. Also, because the campus is somewhat spread out, students can catch a ride on the PRT, which is similar to a monorail and unique to WVU.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I enjoy having plenty of room. This is exactly what I found in the dorms at WVU. There was lots of space, so I never felt cramped. During my visit, I went to the admissions office. The counselor was genuinely helpful and seemed to really care (you don’t find that everywhere).

Along with excellent ­academics, the extra-­curricular activities are a good way for students to relax and enjoy themselves. WVU has a wide array of sports. Football and basketball are very important at West Virginia. The Coliseum is the huge dome-shaped building that hosts games during the year. The football stadium is situated at the top of a hill, overlooking the town.

I really enjoyed my visit to WVU; it was great to see such a diversity of sights in one small town. Morgantown is teeming with students, either going to class or working at local stores. The campus is a bit old, but if that doesn’t bother you, you should definitely consider this college.

WVU sets itself apart because it is a small university and all the students have great pride in their school. The whole community is supportive. Everywhere you go you see WVU T-shirts, sweatpants, hoodies – you name it. I would positively recommend this school to anyone who wants to be part of a college-oriented community and receive an incredible educational experience, the way it should be.

For more, check out www.wvu.edu.

ryan said...
im in 8th grade and i always liked the old gold and blue i would love to go to this college but i know that it will be a hard chalenge

lolzre replied...
You spelled challenge wrong sweetheart.... I am a senior in high school and got accepted it is not too difficult, just work on your spelling......

LeilaniLives replied...
It could have been a typo. Don't be so quick to judge. Great article though.

chica-de-sonrisas replied...
Yeah no kidding...if you are going to pick on their spelling, you should probably fix your punctuation errors first (put a comma between "accepted" and "it"  :D haha ) anyways, this was a great article. I used to live in West Virginia, and it was amazing. I'm sure you'll love it :)