College of Notre Dame of Maryland | Teen Ink

College of Notre Dame of Maryland MAG

February 25, 2009
By Perla Mejia BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Perla Mejia BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Baltimore, MD: Last summer I visited my sister at the College of Notre Dame of Maryland. The small school is located in the suburbs of Baltimore. It is a four-year, independent, Catholic liberal arts college for women.

The College of Notre Dame is competitive, with only 59 percent of applicants accepted each year. Six hundred and fifty students are admitted annually from over 16 countries. I was amazed with the student-faculty ratio of 13:1. The classrooms are spacious considering the number of students in each class.

The majors offered include criminology, art, and religious studies. The college is known for its nursing program and psychology and chemistry majors. With 27 majors and five pre-professional programs, I am sure there would be something for me.

I toured many buildings and visited the award-winning library, the student art exhibition, the grand planetarium, the huge photo laboratory, and the church on campus, falling even more in love with this school. The small campus is a very friendly place and a close-knit environment. It is lovely. There are hidden trails with religious statues and many trees and flower gardens to be found.

The College of Notre Dame offers a number of NCAA Division III Varsity sports: basketball, field hockey, lacrosse, swimming, soccer, ­tennis, softball,
and volleyball. The ­college has tennis courts, a dance studio, an indoor walking track, a fully equipped fitness center, and a game room with a giant flat-screen, high-definition television and Wii game console. Also, there are more than 40 student organizations and honor societies.

At first, I was concerned about safety, since the college is located in Baltimore. However, I learned about the numerous security officers on campus who provide a secure, safe environment. The campus is patrolled 24 hours a day and there are many emergency telephones. Officers are also available to escort students.

I greatly enjoyed my stay. I was delighted to learn all that I have with just one visit. The quality of education is the most important factor for me when doing ­research on colleges and universities. Therefore, the College of Notre Dame is the perfect choice for me. This private school for women has small class sizes (very important in the learning process) and helpful, friendly people. In addition, the campus is safe. I would recommend the College of Notre Dame of Maryland to other female students looking for a bright future. After all, its mission statement is, “College of Notre Dame of Maryland educates women as leaders to transform the world.”

Learn more at www.ndm.edu.