Tour of California Polytechnic University of Pomona | Teen Ink

Tour of California Polytechnic University of Pomona

March 24, 2015
By Anonymous

For my college tour I decided to check out California Polytechnic University of Pomona. I was most interested in its highly rated animal science undergraduate program, which I am interested in because I am looking into a career as a veterinarian. We arrived at seven in the morning. I travelled with my friend and her father. As we pulled onto campus, I questioned whether we were in the right place because I had thought that colleges were clean, and professional. Unfortunately I was very wrong about that.

I observed the dark, run down buildings as we drove on the curving road. It looked almost like an abandoned warehouse district. The grounds empty, not a person in sight. It was a monday morning, so I was expecting to see at least a few students. We drove past the discolored white fence, a few horses grazed inside. As we continued on, we passed the livestock fields, and a strange looking factory building. I wondered what it was, but didn’t dare break the silence. We parked the car in the foggy parking lot. It took us a few minutes to find the parking pass meter, but eventually we found it.

Finally we started toward the grim looking buildings. The brown spotted grass along the gum stained sidewalk made for an interesting walk to the admissions office. Weeds broke through in the planters where I imagined roses would be. To say the least I was disappointed and expected more out of a college campus than this.

We opened the door to the building marked “admissions.” We marched down the stained white tile floor. The yellow walls on either side seemed to close around us down the narrow hallway. Posters advertising clubs and programs flashed in our peripheral vision as we continued on our path.

A young girl probably no older than twenty walked out of the admissions office almost running into us. She stopped short when she noticed us. We asked for the admission advisor we had a meeting with. She informed us that she was her assistant and that our appointment wasn’t for another hour. I sighed, already wanting to leave.

My friends dad told us that we could hang out in the hallway and look at the posters. My friend and I glanced up and down the walls, making slow movements from one poster to the next. The stairs that likely led to classrooms rested behind us. Eventually we grew tired of reading the same thing over and over again, and walked toward the stairs.

We plopped down on the stairs, took out our phones and to both our dismay had no service. Not only was it an unappealing campus, but it was also a cell service black spot. A few minutes after sitting on the steps, a bell of some sort rang. A stampede of students came charging down the stairs. We jumped up and moved out of the way, avoiding an untimely demise.

The admissions counselor came out of her office to retrieve us, I was grateful for something to do. Her words seemed to slur together, although I decoded most of what she said. The point when she told me about the slaughter house on sight, and that is was part of the agricultural program, was when I lost all interest in attending their school. I walked alongside my friend, the world seemingly dimmed around me.

We drove around the campus and walked in and out of a few buildings on our own, although I didn’t care because I could never be part of a school that condones murder. I have always strongly believed that animals should have the right to life. High school programs such as “Future Farmers of America (FFA),” in my opinion should be renamed FMA for Future Murders of America. This program has teenagers raise livestock animals such as goats, pigs, cows, etc. The students care for them, raise them, show the animal in fairs, and then they are taught that its okay to send the animal to slaughter. The program teaches our children to be heartless, merciless, and have an extreme lack of compassion toward animals. Mohandas Gandhi once said; “the greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” This being the case, our nation really has some issues to work out.

Animals help people more than people help people. Animals don’t go around murdering people for stupid emotional reason or for their own personal gain. The only time an animal will ever fight is if they believe their family or themselves to be in danger, most will just run to avoid confrontation. Humans on the hand hurt people to hurt people, because they are angry or want to gain something by hurting another. Animals are now being used in therapy for all kinds of disabilities. Service dogs, cats, miniature horses, and more help people get through each and everyday, without them so many of us would be lost in the chaotic world that surrounds us.

I will become a veterinarian, and I will advocate for animals that are grossly undervalued in our world today. But I will not receive any education from a corrupt organization that condones the very thing I despise most, the unnecessary death (murder) of animals. I have lost all interest in the programs that California Polytechnic University of Pomona, and would advise any other prospective students with even half a heart against attendance.