Stanford University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University, one of the country’s top research and teaching universities, is an excellent and prestigious school. It was founded in 1891 and has had high standards ever since.

The 8,180-acre tobacco-free campus has beautiful facilities with a lot to do. There are 40 recognized religious groups and many opportunities to perform public service. There are 590 student organizations and clubs. The school mascot is Cardinal (the color) and the school colors are red and white.

Stanford has many traditions, but the most interesting is that at midnight under the first full moon of the autumn ­quarter, seniors kiss freshmen. Freshmen can’t keep cars on campus, but the Marguerite shuttle is there to take them around. There are live performing arts for students to enjoy. There are many places to eat on campus and a library in which to study, read, and go online.

Housing options include dorms, apartments, and cooperative houses, and the campus is secure. The University Department of Public Safety, Stanford police, and medical care on campus keep students safe.

Stanford has over 40 fields of study, including medicine, engineering, and business. Stanford also offers study abroad programs in Australia, Beijing, Berlin, Boston, Cape Town, Florence, Kenya, Kyoto, Madrid, Moscow, New York, Oxford, Paris, and Santiago.

The school has 35 varsity sports, including squash, fencing, archery, and lacrosse. Seventy-five percent of classes have 15 students or less, and the student-to-faculty ratio is 7:1. Stanford accepts scholarships and grants from federal agencies, state agencies, and private organizations. The university gives out Perkins, Stafford, and PLUS loans to applicants who qualify for financial aid.

Stanford is a wonderful school that I am considering as one of my options for college.

For more information, visit www.stanford.edu.

rptnk10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:27 am:
Andrea I'm so happy u got urs published in teen ink magazine happy for u

rptnk10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:29 am :
Wrong person never mind

Blairezie said...
I especially liked the part about the harvest moon tradition. They don't tell you about that on the stanford website!

literarylover39 said...
Although I don't know what your preferences are in terms of living conditions, I must say that California is AWESOME! I have lived here my entire life, but have travelled around the country as well. People here are definitely more chill and laid-back than in some other parts of the country. The weather is fabulous. The land is beautiful. You should definitely visit before you rule out any California schools. :) 

midniteprowlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 2:39 pm:

thx 4 sharing tht info with us readers/college searchers.

..and, whenever, will you please check out and rate my stuff? thx :)

Stephie said...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 8:32 am:
I have always known I wanted to go to Stanford. Now I know alot of information about it. Thank You!

LavenderStone said...
Although I'm not sure if California is a place I would like to go to college, reading your article made me think more about it. This college seems like I should look into it more. Thank you for the informative article.

Ellen said...
Jul. 31, 2009 at 11:05 pm:
I read this and began to look up the college. I'm three years from graduation, but this inspired me to finally have a dream and goal to work toward. Thank you for the review, which inspired me to something I think I really could love!

Renaissance said...
Jun. 13, 2009 at 1:05 am:
Yes!Yes!Yes! I have always dreamed of going to Stanford, but there is never enough information about what it is like a the University. Thank you Alex for writing this wonderful review!

Mrs. Benedict said...
Wow! Great article, Alex! I was so happy to see that you were published in the September Issue of Teen Ink Magazine. I always new you were a great writer! Come and see me sometime! I miss your witty charm and kind heart.

a.d.g. replied...
Jul. 6, 2011 at 12:06 am :
k - n - e - w, Mrs. Benedict. And you're a teacher?