University of Mississippi | Teen Ink

University of Mississippi

By rubyrose1 BRONZE, Oxford, Mississippi
rubyrose1 BRONZE, Oxford, Mississippi

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Oxford, MS: Searching for the college that is right for you can be described as challenging and exhausting. Switching from high school to college is a major change, and the college you chose will be your home for the next 4 years of you life. As I toured the numerous college campuses in my area, one university really opened its arms to me and showed me a place that I would grow to not just call home, but to adore.

The University of Mississippi is right in the heart of Dixie. It is one of the two major universities in the state of Mississippi, along with its rival Mississippi State.

Since the institution opened its doors in 1848, Ole Miss as most call it, has attracted students from the 4 corners of the United States and from countries all over the world.

Ole Miss gained national attention when it housed a Civil War hospital for the injured fighting in the Battle of Shiloh. All classes were cancelled during this time, and the entire student body enlisted in the Confederate Army.

It also gained National attention in 2008, when it was named the first site for the Presidential Debate. This was the first time a debate had ever been held in the state of Mississippi.

When I walked onto campus for my first tour, I knew this was the place I would be for the next years of my life. The Grove is located in the center of campus and is the recreational place for tail-gating on football weekends and concerts held by the school. There is nothing like walking through the grove on a Saturday afternoon, seeing all the blue and red tents crammed into every space.

The university is home to some of the most prestigious schools in the country. Ole Miss’s Law School, Pharmacy School, Journalism School, Business School, and Education School are ranked top in the country. The academics at the university are of the greatest importance and the professors are top-ranked in their course.

Surrounding the college is the city of Oxford. Around 15,000 citizens call Oxford their home. Downtown you can find the famous “Square”. Located in the heart of Mississippi sits the life of the town. Everything from dining, shopping, city hall, bars, and apartments can be found in this central location.

If you are looking for a place to call home for the next 4 years, consider the University of Mississippi. We’re waiting for you in Dixieland!

Learn more at www.olemiss.edu

I recently saw that the only college review for Ole Miss was dated 2000. I thought I would write a longer, updated version!

rubyrose1 BRONZE, Oxford, Mississippi

Yes I will sorry I have been off the website for a while with school going on! I'll look at it today:)

KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida

"If you're lucky enought to be different, never change." ~ Taylor Swift

Well done! You had a lot of credible information in this article! Would you mind commenting and rating my article on Flagler College? (: