Briarwood This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I visited Briarwood College in Southington, CT, on one of their recent Saturday Open Houses. Even though the college is nestled off the beaten path, it is located in a beautiful mountain and wooded setting of 32 acres. The college is small with an enrollment of approximately 350 students, which I liked. The Director of Admissions said, "You become part of the Briarwood family once you are a student here."

Southington is 15 minutes from Hartford and 40 minutes from New Haven. The college has a van service to bring students to the area bus stations for trips home.

The apartments were the best part of the tour. Each student shares the apartment with five other roommates. A full-sized kitchen and furnished living room are on the first floor with three bedrooms and a bath/shower upstairs. You need to cook since there is no food service on campus. However, a street with every fast food restaurant, a grocery store and a department store is only 2 miles from the college. The seniors who gave us the tour were very enthusiastic about the college.

Briarwood is a two-year accredited college but there are two area universities with whom they have a matriculation agreement if you wish to continue after the two years. A placement service is available for students who are not continuing to a four year college.

If you are looking for a small, two-year college where you will be part of a family atmosphere, consider Briarwood College.

Reviewed in 1990