University Of Miami | Teen Ink

University Of Miami MAG

By Anonymous

   Coral Gables, FL: Finding a campus more inviting or beautiful than the University of Miami would be a terribly difficult task. For four days last October I spent my days and nights at UM. I found it beautiful and immaculate. Everyone I encountered was friendly and hospitable, but moreover, genuine and honest.

The university is actually located in the wealthy suburb of Coral Gables, just a few minutes from Miami. A beautiful lake is the center of this lush campus whose tranquil charm creates the feeling of a whole new world. Unlike what many people may think, the campus is extremely safe. I felt completely comfortable attending a late-night concert performed by one of their orchestras, returning to my hotel at 11. I traveled from Massachusetts alone and in my four-day visit not once did I feel unsafe or unwelcome.

The campus is extremely well-kept and respected. The professors seem readily accessible, and actually live with the students in the residential halls. There only seem to be a few large classes. The rooms (like any other college) are no palaces, but are comfortable and equipped with cable TV and air conditioning. There are many dining halls on campus, and you can even use your meal card to buy food at some of the fast-food chains on campus. The college's many active groups provide students with an array of activities. And if that isn't enough, the busy city of Miami and beaches aren't far away, so there is always something to do.

On both of the tours I took, the guides were both friendly and informative. They were led by students who gave insight to many of the classes and activities on campus. The tour guides gave an excellent overview of the campus and addressed any concerns or questions that arose. I can honestly say that there was not a single unpleasant aspect of my visit. f


Reviewed in 1995