Dickinson | Teen Ink

Dickinson MAG

Carlisle, PA: Over the summer I attended a College Day in which over 200 colleges were represented. I did not know where to start. I remember someone mentioning a good, small liberal arts college named Dickinson, so I decided to stroll over to the "D" section and take a look. I walked over to Dickinson's booth and was met by a friendly face. The representative happily told me all about the college and answered all my questions.

Dickinson has approximately 1,960 students with a student-faculty ratio of 12 to one. It offers a wide variety of courses with 33 majors, and it offers Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees.

The college is well known for its foreign language programs. It offers study in nine modern languages and has the most graduating foreign majors in the country. Dickinson offers and encourages study abroad in many countries for either a summer, semester or year.

It has over 100 clubs and activities and 11 men's and 11 women's Division III sports teams. The college is also relatively close to the state's capitol, Harrisburg, in which many interesting events take place.

Two things especially impressed me, though. First, a couple weeks after I attended the College Day, I received a hand-written note from the woman I talked to thanking me for my interest and enthusiasm, saying that if I had any other questions, not to be afraid to contact her. I thought that was a very nice gesture.

The second happened when I attended a College Fair at UNH last week. I had received more information on Dickinson through the mail and had some questions about financial aid. (About 70% of entering freshman receive financial aid.) So I walked over to the Dickinson booth, and ... there was the same woman, who remembered me! I was amazed and impressed.

We talked for a little while, and she again happily answered my questions.

I felt a great sense of friendliness that this college must have. Hopefully when I visit the college, I will find people as friendly and willing as this one woman. f

Reviewed in 1996

i love this !