Air Force Academy | Teen Ink

Air Force Academy MAG

Colorado Springs, CO: Oneword came to mind when I visited the Air Force Academy -impressive.

Located near the beautiful mountain town of Colorado Springs,its home since 1958 when it was relocated from Lowry Base near Denver, every partof the Academy is impressive. From the 17 spires of the Cadet Chapel, the manyathletic fields and sports facilities, to the rugged foothills of the RockyMountains, the Academy is an outstanding institution.

Gaining admissioninto the Air Force Academy is very difficult and a great honor. A prospectivecadet must be nominated by a United States Senator, member of the House ofRepresentatives, the Vice President, President or other approved party.Candidates must also pass a medical examination, a physical-fitness test andcollege entrance exams. Prospective cadets must have good leadership qualitiesand be well-rounded students.

The academics are also impressive. With only4,417 cadets, the Academy has acquired an excellent reputation for academics;many consider it one of the finest schools in the country. Cadets ranked itnumber one for student satisfaction.

Cadets have four years of academicwork and graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree. They also have militarytraining and are commissioned in the United States Air Force. While the educationis tuition-free and cadets receive a monthly salary for books, uniforms and otherexpenses, attending the Academy requires a long-term commitment - aftergraduation cadets must serve a minimum of five years in the AirForce.

Visitors to the Academy can feel the cadets' pride, and thisfeeling is just one of the things that makes the Air Force Academy a trulyimpressive school.

Reviewed in 2000

i love this !