Georgetown University | Teen Ink

Georgetown University MAG

Washington, D.C.: As I approached the gates at 37th and0 Street, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was everything I had ever dreamed andmore. I stepped through the gates and headed for my friend's dorm, where I wouldbe staying for the next four days. Like a tourist in New York City staring up atthe skyscrapers, I gazed with amazement at the buildings. Since I was a child, Ihad been peering at the picture of Georgetown University hanging in my livingroom. My father had purchased it years before to attest to his love for his almamater. After my visit there, I can truly recognize that love.

Although thecampus is quite large, everything is within walking distance. The grounds arewell kept and there is an incredible balance in the architecture. The modern andthe historic buildings seem to rest side by side without anyone noticing. Theuniversity is set in the most historic part of Washington. Every step precedesanother landmark or building that dates back to the birth of ourcountry.

The university has hundreds of clubs and activities and there isalways something going on. Although the school is a Catholic university, it isextremely diverse, with students matriculating from over 100 foreign countries.

I was fortunate to stay with a student and experience everythingfirsthand. I recommend this to anyone who is serious about a college and wouldlike a candid glimpse of college life. It lends itself to a whole new perspectiveof the school.

After visiting Georgetown, I felt like I was actually astudent. Every-one welcomed me with open arms, and I made a lot of friends. Ieven did my own laundry in the basement of a dorm. When it came time to leave, Icouldn't believe I was still in high school and had to go home.

I havevisited many colleges, and have yet to come across one in which I felt so athome. I am not usually the type who makes decisions quickly, so I am glad thatGeorgetown made it so easy for me.

Reviewed in 2000

i love this !