College of William & Mary This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Williamsburg,VA: Set in the center of historic Williamsburg, the College of William and Maryabounds with acclaimed professors, eager students and vigorous academic programs.Chartered in 1693, William and Mary is the second-oldest university in the nationand has a long-held, impressive reputation for excellence. Ranked in 2000 by U.S.News and World Report as the number one small public university in the nation,William and Mary would be a perfect choice for any ambitious and intelligentstudent in search of a demanding small university.

The campus isoverwhelmingly friendly and welcoming. Surrounded by Colonial Williamsburg andmany old-style buildings, taverns and shops, the community is right at astudent's fingertips. A quick walk puts you in the village and a ride on"The Green Machine" - the campus bus - brings you to places such as thesupermarket.

William and Mary is a very community-focused university;everyone watches the sports teams and gathers for pre- and post-game snacks atlocal delis or the many Starbucks on campus. There is a real sense of unity andschool spirit, which makes you feel right at home.

Although I visited thecampus last April, it is still firmly implanted in my memory as an excitinguniversity where I could see myself not only studying but living for four years.The people - both students and faculty - were kind, informative and, as a whole,proud of their university and home.

If you are searching for a reputableuniversity with the feel of a small college community, the College of William andMary could be exactly what you're looking for.

Reviewed in 2001