Boston University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Unknown

Boston, MA: When I visitedBoston University, I was captivated by its urban setting. Located in a largecity, BU is a private university, characterized by a diverse student body. Theundergraduate enrollment is about 15,700. There are many majors, ranging fromagriculture to teacher education. In addition, Boston University offers DivisionI teams in basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse,crew, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track and wrestling.

About 75percent of the students who apply have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher, and 60percent are accepted. There are a number of major requirements: your high schooleducation must include three years of history, four of English, two of a foreignlanguage, three of math, one of social studies and three of science.

Completing the application includes an application fee, an essay, an interview,teacher recommendations, a secondary school report, standardized test scores,extracurricular activities, class rank, character and personal qualities,volunteer work and work experience. Auditions or portfolios are required forapplicants to the music, theater, visual arts or theatrical designprogram.

The total cost for a year at BU is about $34,000 for studentsliving on campus and $25,000 for those off. Seventy percent of the freshmen whoapplied for financial aid received grants, three percent received self-help and27 percent received student loans.

On average, the freshman financial aidpackage was almost $19,000.

Boston University uniquely incorporates aliberal arts curriculum with one's chosen major, challenging its students. BUideally suits the needs of an ambitious and motivated student.

Reviewed in 2001