Rhode Island School of Design | Teen Ink

Rhode Island School of Design MAG

Providence, RI: I recently visited the Rhode Island School of Design.RISD's compact campus of 40 buildings is poised on the slope of College Hill,which ascends to Providence's historic East Side. RISD students, along with thosefrom neighboring Brown University, stroll from galleries to libraries to studiosand classrooms along brick sidewalks surrounded by 18th- and 19th-centurymansions.

RISD is a residential college, and freshmen are required tolive on campus in a residence hall or an apartment. There are many activities;students use Brown's athletic fields, and can attend film festivals and socialevents. The Woods-Gerry Gallery attracts crowds to view the artwork of seniors.Each year a variety of companies, such as MTV, J. Crew and Microsoft, visit RISDto conduct job interviews.

With only 2,000 students, RISD is extremelyselective and one of the top design schools in the country. Its freshman scheduleis one of the most demanding; students study from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. three days aweek, with only an hour break for lunch. The school offers many majors, includingarchitecture, graphic design, illustration, photography, animation and sculpture.Study abroad programs are also an option.

RISD is an outstanding designschool and an excellent college for artists.

Reviewed in 2001

i love this !