Pomona College | Teen Ink

Pomona College MAG

By Anonymous

    Claremont, CA: Located in the suburb of Claremont, Pomona boasts one ofthe nation's most rigorous liberal arts programs on a beautiful campus. With anundergraduate enrollment of less than 1,500, Pomona's small classes offerstudents personal attention from professors. In addition, the home of theSagehens (the official mascot) is part of a five-college family that includesClaremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, Scripps and Pitzer, which makes the learningprocess varied and fun.

Pomona, commonly acknowledged as an IvyLeague-quality school, has distinct advantages over its New England counterparts.One is its warm, sunny location in a safe retirement community only 30 minutesfrom bustling Los Angeles that contrasts with the powerful seasons of theeast.

Founded in 1887, this highly selective college offers manyprograms of study and extracurricular activities to fill diverse needs. Majorsrange from molecular biology to women's studies. Among the five undergraduateschools, there are over 280 organizations catering to differentinterests.

Pomona aims to recruit students who are not only academicallypromising, but also possess talent, determination and a variety of interests. Asone alumna put it, "If there's one thing I really learned from Pomona, it isthat they [the professors] really taught me how to think on my own." Theschool ranks remarkably high on all lists for a reason.


Reviewed in 2001