University of Massachusetts | Teen Ink

University of Massachusetts MAG

By Anonymous

    Amherst, MA: TheUniversity of Massachusetts at Amherst is located in a small town (also home ofAmherst College) in the western part of the state. The University's locationcombines the technology and benefits of a large university without the noise oflarger cities.

Among UMass's benefits is the TAP program, which allowsstudents with the same major to live on the same floor so students can talk abouttheir similar interests, as well as create an automatic group to help adjust tocollege life.

The dorms I saw at UMass were small doubles and not thatimpressive, but there were many other housing options including skyscrapers thatare more like apartments, which seemed a little out of place inAmherst.

There are many clubs and organizations at UMass and new clubs areformed all the time. Athletic teams compete in Division I and the gym is free forall students.

The atmosphere at Amherst is said to be politicallycharged, with some radical groups on campus. On my visit, students seemed veryhurried, giving the campus the feel of a small city. Although not as scenic asnearby Amherst College, UMass does have a nice campus.

The tuition toUMass is one of the great benefits of a public university; it is drasticallylower than its neighbor. For tuition and room and board at UMass, in-statestudents pay $10,100, out-of-state students pay $18,300. Sixty-seven percent ofapplicants are accepted, and the total student population is 24,000. UMass isnoted for good programs in the sciences. More information is available atwww.umass.edu, but the only way to really decide if you like UMass is to visit.


Reviewed in 2001