Savannah College of Art and Design | Teen Ink

Savannah College of Art and Design MAG

Savannah,GA: If you are interested in media or the visual or performing arts, you may wantto check out Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD).

Strategicallylocated downtown in one of the most historic cities in the country, you'll findyourself mingling with a diverse crowd as you wander through beautifully designedsquares. Or maybe you'll want to shop the cobblestone roads along the SavannahRiver. Or, maybe you'll decide to take the short trip to Tybee Island and spend aday at the ocean.

Approximately 5,000 students are enrolled in SCAD andstriving for degrees in a variety of majors including architecture, architecturalhistory, interior design, product design, metals and jewelry, photography,painting, illustration, graphic design and computer arts, film production,musical performance, theatre, and much more. Most majors are also offered asminors. Admissions counselors are available to discuss minors that might bebeneficial to your specific major.

Housing is not a problem in the city,although the college only has accommodations for 1,000 students. By sophomoreyear, students are eager to rent an apartment with friends. SCAD double-deckerbuses drive all over the city late into the night to accommodate those who pullall-nighters in their studios. Lock boxes for holding personal belongings can befound at every desk in the arts buildings, showing the students' dedication totheir work and willingness to stay late.

One drawback is cost. Dependingon your major, you'll spend about $26,000 a year (some majors have extra fees forsupplies) for tuition, housing and meal plans.

Students at Savannah arediverse; all 50 states are represented, as well as many countries. One studenttour guide was from Germany!

There is never a quiet night at SCAD, withperformances at the campus's two theaters, art shows and an annual filmfestival.

If you are looking to broaden your artistic horizons after highschool, the Savannah College of Art and Design is a must to look into!

Reviewed in 2002

i love this !