St. Michael's College | Teen Ink

St. Michael's College MAG

Burlington, VT: Saint Michael's College, located just outside the friendly city of Burlington, Vermont, is a small liberal arts school with a beautiful campus that offers a great education and student life.

From the moment you enter the admissions office, you feel more than welcome. You are taken on a private tour of the campus by an upperclassman, which gives you the opportunity to ask any questions you want. The classes are small with a 15:1 student-to-faculty ratio, so students have the chance to get to know professors on a personal basis, and contact them when needed. Unlike many colleges where a student may be just one of hundreds in a massive lecture hall, St. Mike's offers a classroom setting where discussion is encouraged and opinions valued. With a wide range of majors, there is something for everyone, making this the perfect environment for learning.

Student life is where St. Mike's shines. The enclosed campus helps initiate student activity and creates a community among students. My guide told me that students are encouraged to live on campus all four years, which helps maintain the feeling of community. In fact, to move off campus, students must present a formal proposal for committee approval.

There are 21 Division II sports, including ice-hockey and lacrosse. According to college literature, all varsity programs except women's ice hockey, skiing and baseball compete in the Northeast 10 Conference, the second largest Division II league in the nation.

If you aren't cut out for one of the college teams, there are many intramurals to choose from: volleyball, indoor soccer, basketball and rock climbing, among others. There are also recreational sports such as yoga and cardio kickboxing.

When you're not studying, you can hit the slopes at one of the many nearby mountains. Burlington is the ideal college town, with lots of shops and many great places to eat, not to mention beautiful Lake Champlain, which is within walking distance.

Visiting St. Mike's has made my college decision a lot easier. With a beautiful campus, excellent student life and the fantastic town of Burlington, St. Mike's is the perfect college ... at least for me!

Reviewed in 2003

i love this !