University of Pittsburgh | Teen Ink

University of Pittsburgh MAG

By Anonymous

     Oakland, PA: If you are searching for a large urban school with great academics and a beautiful campus, look no farther than the University of Pittsburgh. Established in 1787, the campus is located in Oakland, a cultural section of Pittsburgh. With about 26,700 students, 5,200 live on campus. It has a 17:1 student-faculty ratio and offers degrees in over 100 programs.

With their school ID, Pitt students can take the bus anywhere in Allegheny County. It's only 10 minutes to downtown Pittsburgh, where there are concerts, shopping and much more. The school is also within walking distance of museums, galleries and the Pittsburgh Playhouse. If you prefer to stay on campus, you could watch one of the 19 varsity sports teams compete. There are also 225 clubs, as well as sororities and fraternities.

The University of Pittsburgh has wonderful facilities. Located right in the center of campus is the Cathedral of Learning, a 42-story skyscraper that is a tenth of a mile high! This Gothic-style building is the tallest educational building in the western hemisphere. Built in the 1930s, it has modern components, like a Starbucks in the basement, as well as many study areas, classrooms and a common area.

There is a lot to do in Pittsburgh and at the university. It is an exciting place and if you like the city, you should definitely give Pitt a chance. There is always something going on, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. It is also one of the top-ranked public universities in the nation academically. It has just about everything you could want from a university and would be a great place to spend your college years.

Reviewed in 2004