Hofstra University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Hempstead, NY: The first thing you notice when you walk onto Hofstra University is the scenery. It is important not to be fooled by the town of Hempstead. Hofstra itself is a medium-large campus with abundant trees, flowers and statues. In essence, the campus is very visually appealing. Academically, Hofstra has been gaining many accreditations for its suber offerings. This is an up-and-coming school, and I predict that in five years, it will have the same status as NYU. The university is a bit pricey, but you get a quality education. Like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

The dorms are decent, with the exception of the towers, which are quite small and a little too dirty for my liking. I recommend the Netherlands, which are suite-style living with two bedrooms, a semi-private bath and, in most cases, a common room. Nassau and Suffolk Halls, as well as Colonial Square, all offer suite-style living for students but Netherlands North is for freshmen.

There is a lot to do in the area. There are restaurants and places for students to have fun (responsibly). Jones Beach is minutes away, as well as the famous Roosevelt Field Mall. To add to that, on campus there are a lot of clubs, frats, sororities - you name it, Hofstra probably offers it.

Overall, I recommend taking a look at Hofstra University - the website is hofstra.edu. It offers many opportunities for students, and since it's just 25 miles from New York City, you can't go wrong!

Reviewed in 2004

shcc89 said...
Hofstra is too expensive and is nothing like NYU! Sure the campus is pretty, but that's it. You don't get a quality education and they keep sending out brochures to make high school seniors feel like Hofstra is some kind of great place when it isn't! I withdrew and most of my friends that went there withdrew. It just isn't worth your time. Bottom line: one big scam!

Doc B replied...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 7:47 pm :
I teach at Hofstra (don't tell anyone!) and I would just like to add that there is not a clear relationship between the cost of tuition and the quality of the education you receive. Of course, there is a big difference between a research university and a community college, but I think that, at least for my department, you could get an equivalent education at Stony Brook. Be sure to find out about the specific programs and majors that you might be interested in when you select a college. If one o... (more »)