Drake University | Teen Ink

Drake University MAG

Des Moines, IA: My high school has about 2,500 students and Drake has almost the same number with 3,170 undergraduates. Because of this, I was a little skeptical when I went to visit. I like my high school in the sense that while I know a lot of people, there’s always the chance to meet someone new, but I’m not sure that’s what I want for college. I might need a bigger college.

Drake University offers more than 70 programs of study and has small classes with a 14:1 student-to-teacher ratio. Even when you first arrive as a student, Drake is thinking about your future and 72 percent of students complete at least one internship before graduating.

When I visited Drake, the people seemed nice, but there sure weren’t many of them. Though the student body comes from 45 states and 60 countries, squirrels seemed to outnumber people despite the fact that during my weekend visit, the whole campus was preparing for Drake Relays, which is a huge deal. Drake alum come from near and far for this popular weekend of track and field fun and excitement.

The college itself is very pretty, and even though it’s located in the middle of Iowa, there’s still a lot to do if you make the 10-minute drive to downtown Des Moines. For example, you can enjoy the thrilling Science Center or the brand new Iowa Hall of Pride. And I kid you not, these places are actually incredibly entertaining.

Drake may not be the right school for me, but it may be for you. Regardless of its size, Drake is a really good school where you’ll get a great education. If you aren’t bothered by squirrels, check it out! See drake.edu for more information.

i love this !