Yale University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

New Haven, CT: As a high school freshman with a brother at Yale University, I am in a unique position to speak about the school both from a visitor's perspective as well as from a more personal viewpoint. Yale is at once an institution of the greatest scholarly pursuit and a college of educational intimacy. It is a place of Nobel laureates and exciting, frenetically paced research as well as a campus of deeply devoted, creative-thinking professors. These teachers walk into a classroom concerned with engaging their students in the day's lecture because one or maybe all of them will have a brilliant future in the field, or simply because they believe that every student has the right to a classically enlightened education.

Yale students are world leaders because the campus nurtures independent thought, the creative process, the thrill of building fledgling organizations and catalyzing them to meaningful heights, and that “can do anything” attitude that every Yalie possesses. Students jump into the extraordinary energy of campus life and the academic, service-focused, artistic, and leadership opportunities available because the faculty, deans, and colleges (the houses freshman are assigned to, from which their closest ­allies and future “brothers and sisters” derive) coax, nurture, and challenge them to lead.

Yale students are a spirited bunch, not only ­because the type of freshmen Yale accepts is full of moxie and light, but because the spirit, respect for, and love of college traditions are deeply rooted on this campus, and the excitement of great scholarship and discovery is contagious.

One's freshman classes may be taught by Nobel Prize winners, best-selling authors, world leaders, former White House officials, renowned scientists from Yale Medical School, or career professors who love the energy of reaching out to students in a daily seminar or lecture. Their approach is always fresh. The freshman experience in a Yale classroom is one in which, regardless of the professor's rank and ­persona, the student can be assured of a class taught with dedication and imagination. Professors are ­accessible, and ready to go the extra mile to reach students, regardless of the journal article or book waiting for them to complete back in their office.

Whereas other Ivy League schools often wish their students well and send them off to classes with an ­attitude of “it's up to you now,” Yale nurtures and continues to extend itself to help students rise above the dry, hollow scholarship rolled out each day in other bastions of higher learning; because, in fact, it's not just up to students to know how to make their mark – it's up to the mentors, scholars and soaring minds into whose hands students entrust their futures.

Students do a lot on campus. This is not a campus for eight-hour-a-day library stints. This is a campus of artists who are breaking boundaries, scholars who are active in laboratory research a couple of days a week, writers and journalists, politically minded ­activists, social leaders and entrepreneurs, musicians of the highest order, and future medical whizzes who are smart enough to major in Humanities or Music or Neuropsychology and still complete pre-med track requirements.

The campus is buzzing with events every day – concerts, dramatic performances, speakers who are stars in the realms of politics, science, comedy, film; and every weekend there are informal get-togethers, formal dances, and cocktail parties. With over 300 student groups, there are shows, concerts and presentations every night of the week. In addition to these activities, the college houses at Yale subsidize outings to Boston or Manhattan for theater, concerts, and other special events.

It should be apparent by now that if you are one of the very lucky ones to be accepted to Yale University, you will have the college career of your dreams. Learn more on their website: yale.edu.

crfcaio said...
Aug. 22, 2010 at 5:05 am:
I LOVE this review! I was between Harvard and Yale, and even though Harvard is number 1 in the world, thanks to this article I definitely want to go for Yale in 2 years! I hope they accept me there, because it is going to be some kind of "returning home" for me (:

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
No offense, but this article sort of sounds like it came out of an advertisement for Yale. Is there anything bad about the school? Like, anything? That said, it sounded good enough to have been made by a professional advertiser.

RahRah replied...
Aug. 16, 2010 at 10:30 pm :
I go to Yale, and have to agree with everything here. Of course, students have to deal with living in New Haven, but the area right around the college is very hip, perfectly safe, and offers everything we need as students looking for weekend diversions.

outasight said...
Jul. 18, 2010 at 12:16 am:
This remains the best review online. Super insightful.

shywriter said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 8:26 am:
This article was really helpful. I have my eye on Yale for further studies and now I'm sure I want to go there!

headingout said...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 8:24 am:
Okay, this is obviously the best review up, so why isn't it in the magazine? Makes no sense to me. I get a very in depth view of yale from this well written article and an understanding about what really goes on inside the campus. Thanks for sharing the points with us that most never would see from just a visit.

antoniutc said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm:
It's a given.

Dawson11 said...
Jun. 25, 2010 at 12:26 pm:
I just got back from visiting Yale and I heard so many of hte things you put in this article. I love the school and your article was spot on! Thanks.

SportyZo77 said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 10:10 am:
This was such a great review. I have always had my eye on Yale for my future schooling, and your piece has really confirmed how well this collage fits my needs. Thanks so much, and great job!

Offandrunning said...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 7:36 pm:
Thanks for writing such a great review. Very helpful for all of us looking for a more personal view of the school.

Alexconquers said...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm:
Excellent Review! Congratulations!

Joe'splace said...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 6:13 pm:
Such a refreshing and sound college write-up. I learned alot of valuable info I wouldn't have known without first-hand experience. Thanks!

Nicholle11 said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm:
Love this review! And love Yale! I'm applying.

Robblore replied...
Jun. 6, 2010 at 12:20 am :
This article offers such thought and heart. Kudos to the author.

curlyQ said...
May 23, 2010 at 12:12 am:
This is the best article online about a college. If you write more about different schools within the Ivy League, you would definitely have me reading the pieces.

CatherineO said...
May 16, 2010 at 12:28 am:
So well written. Bravo! I'm going to send my firends who will be writing college essays all summer to this article so they can get a better idea of the nurturing environment that Yale provides.

charlotte'sweb said...
May 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm:
This is the best review up! I learned so much. Thanks for writing it.

soonsoon replied...
May 14, 2010 at 12:37 am :
So well written! I don't need to hear anyone speak about the school because you gave us a lot behind the scenes. Thanks!

CarlyQ replied...
May 16, 2010 at 12:25 am :
Best review online! You're going to make everyone who reads it want to go there. I want to go there!

goddess_of_the_moon_123 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 2, 2010 at 8:37 pm:
I loved how informative this article was-- it had everything I wanted to know about the school; and it sounds like my kind of place! I come from a very unique and supportive high school, so it's nice to know that there are colleges out there who really try to continue fostering more than just the academic sides of their students. Great article!