Yale University This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

New Haven, CT: As a high school freshman with a brother at Yale University, I am in a unique position to speak about the school both from a visitor's perspective as well as from a more personal viewpoint. Yale is at once an institution of the greatest scholarly pursuit and a college of educational intimacy. It is a place of Nobel laureates and exciting, frenetically paced research as well as a campus of deeply devoted, creative-thinking professors. These teachers walk into a classroom concerned with engaging their students in the day's lecture because one or maybe all of them will have a brilliant future in the field, or simply because they believe that every student has the right to a classically enlightened education.

Yale students are world leaders because the campus nurtures independent thought, the creative process, the thrill of building fledgling organizations and catalyzing them to meaningful heights, and that “can do anything” attitude that every Yalie possesses. Students jump into the extraordinary energy of campus life and the academic, service-focused, artistic, and leadership opportunities available because the faculty, deans, and colleges (the houses freshman are assigned to, from which their closest ­allies and future “brothers and sisters” derive) coax, nurture, and challenge them to lead.

Yale students are a spirited bunch, not only ­because the type of freshmen Yale accepts is full of moxie and light, but because the spirit, respect for, and love of college traditions are deeply rooted on this campus, and the excitement of great scholarship and discovery is contagious.

One's freshman classes may be taught by Nobel Prize winners, best-selling authors, world leaders, former White House officials, renowned scientists from Yale Medical School, or career professors who love the energy of reaching out to students in a daily seminar or lecture. Their approach is always fresh. The freshman experience in a Yale classroom is one in which, regardless of the professor's rank and ­persona, the student can be assured of a class taught with dedication and imagination. Professors are ­accessible, and ready to go the extra mile to reach students, regardless of the journal article or book waiting for them to complete back in their office.

Whereas other Ivy League schools often wish their students well and send them off to classes with an ­attitude of “it's up to you now,” Yale nurtures and continues to extend itself to help students rise above the dry, hollow scholarship rolled out each day in other bastions of higher learning; because, in fact, it's not just up to students to know how to make their mark – it's up to the mentors, scholars and soaring minds into whose hands students entrust their futures.

Students do a lot on campus. This is not a campus for eight-hour-a-day library stints. This is a campus of artists who are breaking boundaries, scholars who are active in laboratory research a couple of days a week, writers and journalists, politically minded ­activists, social leaders and entrepreneurs, musicians of the highest order, and future medical whizzes who are smart enough to major in Humanities or Music or Neuropsychology and still complete pre-med track requirements.

The campus is buzzing with events every day – concerts, dramatic performances, speakers who are stars in the realms of politics, science, comedy, film; and every weekend there are informal get-togethers, formal dances, and cocktail parties. With over 300 student groups, there are shows, concerts and presentations every night of the week. In addition to these activities, the college houses at Yale subsidize outings to Boston or Manhattan for theater, concerts, and other special events.

It should be apparent by now that if you are one of the very lucky ones to be accepted to Yale University, you will have the college career of your dreams. Learn more on their website: yale.edu.

AislinnBluejayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I visited Yale once, with my parents, and I was so impressed at how beautiful and awesome it was. I will DEFINITELY check out going there. Also, in the poetry section check out my poem "Ode to a Crooked Spine."

RunningNDfree said...
Yes. I also have a brother there and have had the opportunity to attend one of the classes (Spanish 2). You are definitely right about the teachers and nurturing environment. In the class I went to (now granted my Spanish comprehension is very very limited) the teacher discussed, in full Spanish, boyfriends and girlfriends and dates. I just thought that was such a cool way of teaching. In my school most of my teachers would NEVER venture to that topic, but the classroom background seemed so... (more »)

imrighthereyouknow said...
I love this review! It gave me a look at what college life at Yale is really like, instead of a lot of the other reviews that just give visitor information. 

bon qui qui said...
May 10, 2011 at 5:07 pm:

thiss is verry intrestinq yoo shot mmmhum ihhts supaaa smarrt nd koo iqhht ducees

jacobmhkim said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 12:53 am:
I have a brother at Yale too and it sounds exactly like how he describes it. Especially how Yale nurtures its students.

rachel replied...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 11:41 pm :
Yep, my sister says that the school is full of students and professors who want to engage each other and push each other to be more analytical, more creative and more innovative so that once they get out of school, they are the ones making the positive changes in society.

shabalala replied...
May 17, 2011 at 5:04 pm :
that's cool ! ((:

dangab replied...
May 17, 2011 at 5:20 pm :

i love you shabalala okay i noe your mad but i still love you *#!

shabalala replied...
May 17, 2011 at 5:22 pm :
be quieeet !!!

Courtney said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 2:28 pm:
Yes, I felt these things when I was visiting campus!

Starpower said...
Feb. 5, 2011 at 12:12 am:
Reading this review gets me very psyched for Decisions in April. I hope I get in!!!

capella replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm :
Ahhh! I know. I can't wait to hear. I love this review!

Elizabear said...
Feb. 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm:
Really fantastic review. It hits on everything I need to know. Thanks for posting.

beccabear said...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 12:39 am:
Love this review! I visited Yale this summer and it's my first choice (applied early action). I felt and heard so much of what's talked about in this article. Way to go! Great job!

harvard=better replied...
Feb. 26, 2011 at 12:40 am :
HARVARD ROCKS!!!!!!!! DOWN WITH YALE!!!!

Cozey said...
I am a Yalie, and when you come here, you are taken in heart and soul by the school. This write-up is absolutely true.  If you're lucky enough to be able to gain admittance to Yale, you will have a gift for the rest of your life. It's an extraordinary place.

oldtimer said...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 12:21 am:
You said it! I go to Yale and it's such a pleasure to see this review, because I can honestly tell you that this is an accurate portrayal of our school. The people are the kind who make things happen int he world, and the university is behind every student. If you wwant great thinsg to happen for you, they will happen at Yale and everyone will be behind you.

BrokenInnocence replied...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 8:12 pm :
I am so glad to hear of this! I myself am only in 9th grade, but already have my future planned out, with yale at the top and then harvard medical.

kim... replied...
Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm :
Yale is at the top of my list too, so I was wondering, what do you think distinguished you from the rest of the applicants and got you accepted?

collegeboy said...
Oct. 15, 2010 at 12:19 am:
True, true! great article. Yale's education and social/artistic scene is second to none. Truthfully, Harvard does not come close to the undergraduate education students receive at Yale. Remember, harvard is all about its graduate schools; the undergraduate students get stuck with a lot of TAs. They dont' tell you that on the tour!