University of Maryland Eastern Shore | Teen Ink

University of Maryland Eastern Shore MAG

By Ana Leon BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Ana Leon BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Princess Anne, MD: This past summer, I had the opportunity to visit a very unique school, the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES). It seems that few people know about this excellent university, so here's some information about it.

Founded in 1886 as part of the nation's network of historically black land-grant institutions, UMES is a state-supported, coed, four-year university.

In academics, UMES offers more than 30 programs leading to a bachelor's degree, including a wide range of pre-professions and an honors program for academic high achievers. It also offers 11 master's degrees and six doctoral programs. Every year, UMES enrolls more than 3,000 undergraduates from 30 states and 50 countries. Most importantly, the student-to-faculty ratio is 25 to 1.

For athletes, UMES has six men's varsity teams and nine women's and is a member of the NCAA Division I and the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

UMES is located in the historic town of Princess Anne, Maryland. The 600-acre campus is less than three hours from Virginia Beach, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, and Baltimore. If you are ready to leave home, UMES offers an on-campus community of traditional dorms and apartment-style suites. The dorm rooms are the perfect size for two people. Also, the library is very pleasant and spacious.
The annual cost is relatively low. For Maryland residents, tuition and fees are about $6,000, and $13,000 for out-of-state students. Room and board ranges from $4,000 to $7,000 per year. Nine out of ten UMES students receive financial aid, including loans, grants, work-study, and scholarships. Also, about 75 percent qualify for need-based assistance. The associate director of the Office of Admissions explained that if you have a high GPA and meet other requirements, you can go to UMES for free!

If you would like to live on Maryland's lower eastern shore, and in a suburban area, this is a great university for you. It is also a great option if you do not like being around too many people but still want a prestigious university. Aside from the uncomfortable hotel bed, everything about my visit was perfect. For more information, visit umes.edu.