Washington & Lee | Teen Ink

Washington & Lee MAG

By Anonymous

   Lexington, VA: If you're looking for a small school where campus activities as well as community activities include such things as intramural sports and all sorts of clubs, there's only one choice, and that is Washington and Lee University.

In the latest edition of Money Guide magazine, Washington and Lee was ranked as the eighth highest school in the nation where students who attend were in the top 20% of their classes, with an average grade of B+ or better, and SAT scores of at least 1200. Also Money Guide gave it the fifth highest rank in the Mid-Atlantic as one of the best buys. In a recent U.S. News magazine poll, Washington and Lee was ranked the fifteenth best liberal arts school in the country.

But, don't get me wrong, there are many more things offered at Washington and Lee. The commerce, politics, and economics departments are among the highest regarded and finest in the nation.

People from all over the country and many foreign countries find a home there. For instance, the class of 1998 is the largest class in the school with students from 42 different states and eight foreign countries from Switzerland to Bangladesh.

Some of the many students who have attended have later gone on to be doctors, writers, governors, senators, and even a Supreme Court Justice.

The most valued thing or possession found at this school would have to be its honor code. Not only is the campus built on trust, but the community is as well.

Over 85% of males are involved in fraternities. There are not as many females in sororities due to the fact that Washington and Lee was an all-male school until 1985. Now the ratio of male to female is 60-40.

The Washington and Lee Generals compete in Division III athletics. Being a member of the Old Dominion Conference, the men's and women's tennis team, along with the men's lacrosse team, and men's water polo have reached national recognition and compete for the Division III title each year.

With so many opportunities available to you at Washington and Lee University, there's no way you can go wrong. f




Reviewed in 1995