Top Voted College Essays

Here are the top voted college essays:

voted
#1
A Piece of Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
    Two years ago I lost a piece of my heart, a partof my life and a part of me. My father died. It was both a complete shock and expected. He was adrug addict and an alcoholic, but I'd always been Daddy's little girl. He lived with... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#2
Failing Successfully This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My day in the sun had arrived – my magnum opus would be revealed. I had just delivered a memorized speech that I had labored over for weeks, and I was about to learn how the panel judged my performance. The polite but sparse audience leaned... (more »)
73 comments
voted
#3
Tall Chai This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
“Grande Cappuccino!” “Venti Caramel Mocha!” Caught in the coffee chaos at Starbucks, I stand impatiently in line waiting to order my chai latte. As I wait, I glance at the piles of low-fat blueberry muffins and stretch my neck to steal a... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#4
The Jungle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I stood in front of the classroom like a specimen under the scrutiny of 23 pairs of eyes. The children were hunters on high alert, ready to pounce on any mistake I made. I began stuttering and gave wrong answers for simple math problems, only to... (more »)
10 comments
voted
#5
Flying This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The life-size castle had a slide and two floors; my daughter would have to have it. We were 10 years old and leafing through the Toys “R” Us catalog, picking out toys we would buy for our children. We sat on our knees around the coffee table,... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#6
The Story of None This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
During the early days of the Clinton presidency, after years of war on antipoverty programs, struggling single mothers were all too common. Somehow, some found ways to provide for the children they loved and were willing to give the world for.... (more »)
11 comments
voted
#7
Life’s Fragility This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
He lay there, immobilized, while blood flowed down his arms and pooled in his hands. The concrete parking lot was not an ideal resting spot, but apparently he had no choice. I noticed his gray hair was taking on a reddish tone. He must have hit... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#8
How I Became an "Old Man" This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Sir‚ name and rank‚ sir.” That was my most frequently used phrase ­during my first month in the United States at the Culver Military Academy. I was a second-class man (junior) but also a new cadet. As a Chinese student who had... (more »)
14 comments
voted
#9
No Turning Back This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Gasps sounded as lightning flashed. In the two seats next to me, my friends were sleeping peacefully. I, however, was wringing my hands; I was scared. It wasn't one of those absolute horror moments, but just pure anxiety rearing its head. I was 16... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#10
International Thanksgiving This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“I do not wish my house to be walled on all sides and my windows stuffed. I want the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible.” – Mahatma Gandhi Enchiladas, sushi, and mango chutney aren't exactly typical... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#11
Black Stool This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
A black stool, as black as the night sky, stood alone. There was nothing special about it that anyone could see. It was simply a cheap black stool, but it was not ordinary to me. To me it symbolized something special in my life: time spent with my... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#12
In Search of Everything This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
She died young. In September of my senior year, I began working on a family history project for Studio Art class. Digging though family photos, I unearthed one that immediately caught my attention. It showed a young woman in a sepia-toned,... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#13
Sweet Dreams This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
At the delicate age of four, I discovered that death was permanent. Thanks to the song “Puff the Magic Dragon,” I learned that “a dragon lives forever, but not so little boys.” At the time, I didn't realize that the little boy in the... (more »)
9 comments
voted
#14
Defining Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When I was little, it perplexed me, even frightened me, that I could never see my own face. I thought, What if mirrors and photographs are only illusions? Though I have learned to trust the generally accepted laws of science, there has always been... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#15
The Cruelty of Umbrellas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
One afternoon this summer, I dragged myself out of the house to ride my bike along the Hudson River. It was hot and humid – not the moist, soothing humidity that softly caresses you in a tropical rainforest, but the heavy, burning-your-skin... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#16
Vital Signs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Her hands flew with precision, each movement carefully thought out. Her face was painted with frustration; this was her only means of communication, and I couldn't understand. I ducked my head in embarrassment and fetched a pen and notepad to... (more »)
1 comment