Top Voted College Essays

Here are the top voted college essays:

voted
#1
The Bitter and the Sweet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The candy’s smooth wrapper crinkles as I trace its edges with my fingertips, imagining its contents. The wrapper tears like a fine fabric, revealing a corner of dark chocolate. I break off a piece and take pleasure in its creamy essence. I have... (more »)
104 comments
voted
#2
Better Barbie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
I don’t have any alumni ties to Brown, though it’s possible I could be the long-lost granddaughter of James S. Miller. Never have I sailed the Pacific Ocean on the back of a humpback whale, nor can I wrap sushi with the skill of former... (more »)
136 comments
voted
#3
Who Am I? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I like reading The Economist and watching "I love the 80s." I like tennis, Fazoli's breadsticks and writing assignments. I value honesty, commitment, scholarship and kindness. These are hard and true facts,... (more »)
42 comments
voted
#4
My Life Story This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   When my life was quickly falling out of my hands and reality wasn't within reach, I felt helpless. I needed to find a way out somehow, someone or something to influence me in a better way by helping me out of the major hole I had... (more »)
10 comments
voted
#5
My Mom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   As I thought about who had had the greatest impact on my life, I began to think of everyone who had been involved in my academic and athletic careers. I realized that I was looking in the wrong part of my life. These people have... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#6
Failing Successfully This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My day in the sun had arrived – my magnum opus would be revealed. I had just delivered a memorized speech that I had labored over for weeks, and I was about to learn how the panel judged my performance. The polite but sparse audience leaned... (more »)
74 comments
voted
#7
Experience In My Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Today, I look back through vague but wonderful memories, memories of childhood, memories my mother and I share. I remember playing games, cards and putting together puzzles which I still have stored in my attic. Did you ever know... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
My Hometown This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   If a person were to look at Cutler, s/he would probably be reminded of a Norman Rockwell picture. The small-town atmosphere and caring people give it an old-fashioned quality that is not often duplicated. Surrounded by thick... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#9
The Person Who Influenced Me The Most This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   I opened the box and took out the gleaming gold bracelet. "For me?" I could barely talk. "Yes, of course," said my Aunt Estelle. I really shouldn't have been surprised because she was like that, unexpected... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#10
My Dream This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     As I sit here and attempt to piece together an answer for the question on this college application, I can’t seem to think of any openings that aren’t utterly cliché. Maybe even this opening is... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#11
My Uncle, My Idol This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   I still remember the first time I saw his face, which revealed his experiences in life. Ten years ago, on a snowy night, I met him in the grandest house I had seen at the young age of eight. The room was filled with people I... (more »)
9 comments
voted
#12
Dance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Dancing has been an important part of my life for more than eight years. When I was eight, my mother enrolled me in dancing classes, never realizing it would lead to anything serious. For the first few months, dance was... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#13
Football This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Football, to me, is more than just a game. I have probably learned more valuable lessons from it than from school.When I joined the team freshman year, I didn’t realize what I was getting into. Even though I had... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#14
Culinary Institute of America This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I love everything about cooking. I love to be in the hot kitchen filled with the smell of rosemary being crushed, the odor of the pastries coming out of the oven, the Béarnaise sauce simmering in a pot ready to... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#15
Life of a College Student This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
An interview with Bill Fitzgerald, a college freshman.   What are some differences between high schooland college life?The main difference is the incredible increasein free time. In high school, every day was a constant grind and I... (more »)
voted
#16
I Am a ... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I am a teenager. I am ignorant, illiterate and irresponsible. I lie, cheat, steal and hate for no apparent reason. I am rude, inconsiderate and, to all appearances, completely lost. I have never known failure, loss... (more »)
12 comments