Slow and Steady Wins the Race | Teen Ink

Slow and Steady Wins the Race

By MBoling BRONZE, Avon, Ohio
MBoling BRONZE, Avon, Ohio

“Michael.. repeat these words back to me...saucer, cinnamon, coat, snake and dictionary.”   I said “What?..  ok...saucer, cinnamon, coat, ummm…….”

This was the moment where the school specialist knew that something was wrong. It was fifth grade and I was having problems in school including trouble hearing, reading, taking tests and paying attention in class. My teachers took notice of this and decided to test me for an Individualized Educational Program (IEP). After testing, they determined I had hearing and reading comprehension problems. Assistance immediately began with speech classes during the day and tutoring after school in English and Math. Throughout the years, I built skills to overcome my learning disability.  It was a slow, methodical process but I knew that I could do it and succeed with good grades.

By the time I was a freshman in high school, I was well on my way to performing at the same level as students without IEPs.  I continued to build on my foundation by managing my workload with new study habits that were taught to me by high school specialists. Fast forward to junior year in which I received an award for academic achievement in maintaining above a 3.4 GPA all four quarters. Receiving this award really inspired me and made me realize that I can do anything with hard work and dedication. Senior year I am taking a rigorous course load for me, but I am willing to put everything into it to prove that I am a smart and hardworking individual.