Should the School continue to serve Breakfast? | Teen Ink

Should the School continue to serve Breakfast?

With a student's schedule looking more and more like the president's it is no wonder that students don't have time to eat a healthy nutritious breakfast in the morning. 'Long commutes and extended and non-traditional work hours.' (Lafleur) Are often major contributors in a student's decision not to eat breakfast.
There is money to be made in the selling of breakfast foods. On average our school makes about '65.00' a day according to Joyce Kenning. That is an average of over 11,000 dollars in an average school year. This money could be put towards fixing the current problems in the computer program. Breakfast is an important meal that no student should miss and it is a great money making opportunity for the school district.

Some people think that having the lunch ladies come in and make the breakfast is a waste of their time and effort to make food that might end up in the trash. Some people also say that students have time to eat at home. However these people don't realize it takes only '45 minutes' (Kuenning) to make the burritos and that there are a number of factors that make it so a student runs out of time in the morning to eat breakfast.

'Long commutes and extended and non-traditional work hours often make it difficult for families to find enough time in the morning to eat a nutritious breakfast. Late bus arrivals and the unwillingness of some students to arrive at school' (Lafleur). These factors make it so that a student can't get a healthy breakfast in the morning.
'While adults need to eat breakfast each day to perform their best, kids need it even more. Their growing bodies and developing brains rely heavily on the regular intake of food. When kids skip breakfast, they can end up going for as long as eighteen hours without food, and this period of semi starvation can create a lot of physical, intellectual and behavioral problems for them.'(McAllister) It is for these reasons that it is very important for students to each a good breakfast in the morning.

Breakfast is an important meal that no student should miss and it is a great money maker for the school. Breakfast can lead to better grades and it is also a great money maker for the school. Students today have a massive schedule that keeps them going from dawn till dusk and doesn't leave much time for making a nutritious and healthy breakfast that is why it is nice that our school offers a breakfast program.

Work Cited
Kuenning, Joyce. Personal Interview. Thursday, February 26, 2009
Lafleur, Stephens. 'School Breakfast: Who Needs It?' Connect for Kids
April 13,2003. Connect for kids. February 24, 2009
http://www.connectforkids.org/node/457
McAllister, Rallie. 'The Most Important Meal of the Day.' WebMD.
June 11, 2008 WebMd. February 20, 2009 http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/most-important-meal