College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

January 12, 2009
By Anonymous

The University values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

Bowling, to some it’s not considered a sport, but to me it is a passion. It started back in fifth grade when my mom got me involved in a local bowling league Saturday mornings. At first I was reluctant, but it eventually grew on me.

The biggest achievement over my eight years of bowling is last year when my partner, Jorden S, and I won the Hartbrook Bowling Doubles Tournament. We had both bowled three of the best games we have ever had, now we just had to wait and find out the results. It was a waiting game; it took three weeks just to get the results. Every Saturday we always talked about it till the day came that we had been waiting for. Then the day came when we heard our names announced as first place. We both were ecstatic and it had to be the best bowling memory for me, seeing as he was leaving for college and it would our last tournament together.

I had worked longs years for this, improving whenever I picked up a bowling ball. From when I was just a fifth grader having fun, to now a competitive bowler that is in his senior year of high school. I have at this point gone through endless hours of practice, and hours on end of talking to coaches on how to deal with certain situations. From them I have taken more than just information on the game, but for my own life lessons. They taught me perseverance, and most important patience. I have carried that through all my life and I would have never thought I could get something like that out of a simple game with a ball and 10 pins. Patience is a big key in this game, because the minute you snap or lose your poise your game will show it, and at that point there is nothing that you can do to stop it.

So from a simple game, I have taken away a priceless memory with a close friend, patience, and perseverance, three things that I will take with me all through my life. It is the little things in life like this that most people look pass or just don’t do deep enough into, but what I have taken from this small town bowling league is indescribable.