Once Upon a Time... | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Time...

By ChibiFox BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
ChibiFox BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always loved to read fiction, especially mythology. Greek, Egyptian, you name it, I've probably either heard or read about it. But of all of those stories, some of my favorites have been from the Brothers Grimm Book of Fairytales. Because of this, I have decided to tell you my own story in the form of a fairytale, hoping that it will help you understand me a little better. Ready? Then here's how it goes:

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl who lived in the magical land of California. Now this girl had everything she could want. She had a pair of loving parents, and to little sisters, who though could be annoying at times, she still loved. She went to nice schools, and had very good friends. She was very happy. One day however, the girl's parents broke up, and a dark cloud reached its morbid hand over the girl's world. As she became distressed by her parents divorce, the girl's life began to fall apart, from her grades dropping to having fights with those who she had thought to be dear friends. Trying to escape her cruel world, the girl slowly began to build a wall of books around her self, pushing herself further and further into darkness and loneliness. By the time she had reached eleventh grade, the girl was completely consumed by her misery, only able to pity herself and be buried in the books that surrounded her.

Then one day, a miracle happened. Among her collection, the girl came across a book that she had seen before but had usually skipped. But for reason, this book now had a soft glow surrounding it. Drawn to the book, the girl began to read its tales. As she slowly read the book, the girl slowly moved out of the darkness, with her misery being chipped away in small pieces as she began to learn from this book. When she finished, the girl was shocked to find that she was surrounded by the light that she had abandoned so long ago. Realizing that what had happened with her parents was none of her fault, the girl looked at the path that had been opened to her, and with a new hope and determination, took her first step towards continuing her life. As she began her journey, the girl continued to carry the book in her hands, its title shining in the bright sunlight: HOPE AND LOVE."

So what is the moral of this story? Is it that love conquers all (however clich'd it is)? Or that you shouldn't let other peoples problems affect you? Or was it just a way for me to entertain you in hopes that I would get accepted? If you chose none of the above, then you are correct. The moral of this story is that I write my own story. Make no sense? The point is that I choose how I interact with the characters, and I make the decisions for which direction the story goes. And with each decision I make, new twists in the story develop, with each one opening up new ways to begin a chapter in the book that is my life. And although I might have made a couple of wrong turns ( i.e.; the time between 8th and 9th grade year I like to pretend is nonexistent), I still am able to find the right path again so that I am able to reach the next chapter still intact.

So how does the story end? Do I go on to live "happily ever after"? Do I find true love like so many other heroines and fairytale princesses? Defeat the Dragon (or term papers)? Find the glass slipper that fits? Or do I just go on living life, tripping along the path but continuing nonetheless? However the story ends, I know that I will continue to prevail through the hardships and struggles, and just enjoy life. Hopefully you will be able to join me enjoying it to. Thank you for taking the time to listen.

Farhan said...
on Mar. 4 2016 at 5:22 am
This is an amazing piece in a short bite! Loved it! :D