You Can't Always Get What You Want | Teen Ink

You Can't Always Get What You Want

The singer, Mick Jagger, of the Rolling Stones sings a song that tells people they can’t always get what they want but if we try sometimes we can get what we need. The past years in my life my parents have told me this saying many times. I’ve always complained about the quote although over time I have told myself to learn from it.
This year my girlfriend flew off to college to a division two school in West Palm, Florida. This has been a killer for me because I haven’t been able to see her and she is having a rough time in school. The last two months have been hard but we are working through it. I have been trying to get my dad to buy me a plane ticket to go down there. My dad told me if I brought him some money he would help me pay for the ticket. I started to complain to him because I had no way of getting any money to give him. I spent several days and nights thinking of ways to earn money to go see my girlfriend. I finally came to the conclusion that I would get a job and work hard to earn some money to give to my dad. I applied to Safeway and I ended up getting the job.
I have now been working at Safeway for about a month now and work hard to earn money to go see my girlfriend. The other day my mom had surprised me and told me that she asked her boss if she could use their business miles to buy me a ticket down to Florida for two weeks. I was very thankful and told her I would help pay for anything that I have to. The thought of me working hard and getting a job showed my mom that I really cared and was trying my best to be a successful person. I believe that you can’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes, you get what you need.