My Values are Put to the Test | Teen Ink

My Values are Put to the Test

By Stephanie O'Kane BRONZE, Dedham, Massachusetts
Stephanie O'Kane BRONZE, Dedham, Massachusetts

“Ohana means family and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten”. The happiest moment in any family’s life are weddings or so I would think. Weddings can bring a family together or so we would like to think. The people that want to stay will and the others will gradually fade away. My uncle Ricky proposed to my soon to be aunt Shannon and almost immediately my mom was their maid of honor. However my mom’s sister Beth was not picked to be in the wedding at all. I didn't think anything of it at first because I was not into the whole drama on my moms side of the family because I was still of my age. Even though I didn't think much about it I still thought it was strange how my aunt and grandmother were not really around during the wedding but my life still went on not thinking much about it.

Overtime I started to get curious why my grandma wasn’t around anymore until I heard, “I WANT MY BRIDGE BACK NOW” My grandma screamed at my mom while I watched from the window, “IT WAS IN MY YARD” before I could see anything else my sister Jennifer comes to get me and pulls me away from the window so I can’t see them fighting anymore. My grandma left without the bridge and my mom and dad avoided bring up the situation. I was left with nothing on that except my own curious thoughts. Why was she screaming about the bridge? The bridge was made for my sister’s girl scout not for my grandmother's yard like she wanted. However, I never thought about this situation until a few years later when I was old enough to understand what was happening.  The lost for information and pondering thought my view on my grandmother was changed. My mother and my grandma fought a lot when I was growing up but it was never this intense. No matter how bad the fight seemed to me I never thought my grandma would be gone forever. I also never thought that I wouldn’t miss her.

Shortly after the wedding we find out that Shannon was pregnant. My mom like always was in charge of the baby shower, it was to be a surprise. The plan was to have shannon’s grandmother ask her to go visit her meanwhile we would have the surprise baby shower there. Right away I ran to my grandma seeing the fact that I haven’t seen here in a while. “Hi grandma, how are you?” I said with a huge smile on my face. “Where is your sister?” She responded back at me. “Jen is at band camp” I said confused. She walked away after I said that, leaving me alone to think about my confused thoughts. I constantly thought to myself, Why am I not important enough for you? Since that day my grandma and I haven’t talked. I have gotten many chances to have my grandma back in my life. I have turned them all down at my own choice. As as child, I discovered that she only wants my sister in her life and my parents and brother and I were not as important to her. Ohana may mean family, but family doesn't mean nobody gets left behind or forgotten.