Surpassing Respiration | Teen Ink

Surpassing Respiration

By QuinnO BRONZE, Amenia, New York
QuinnO BRONZE, Amenia, New York

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

Surpassing Respiration

Inhale. Exhale. My eyes quiver open as the light from the incandescent sun creeps through my window, saturating my vision with light. This is how my mornings begin. “What might the world want from me today?” I begin to wonder. Deeply inhaling dissatisfaction after another six hour sleep, I sit up in bed just as everyone does. To remedy my mental fatigue, I click on the lights above me in hope that it will take away some sleepiness, though I know it will hinder my vision for a bit. Sometimes that’s needed though.

Staring ahead I notice my blank grey wall. That blank grey wall is my life. It’s dull yet there’s so much room to add to it, so many colors it could be repainted, and so many designs that it could adopt. There are many walls out there, obviously, and they are all so essentially similar! However no walls are the same. Each is their own. Each wall is custom. This is like humans; like me in particular. I cannot stand to be regulated. I cannot stand to be systematized. I cannot stand to conform. I crave to be acknowledged. I need to be recognized. No one else is who I am. If I can enhance my wall, I will perfect myself to say the very least.

As I start to imagine what my day will consist of, I begin to grow antsy at the thought of dealing with all of these confused people. I stand by and spectate in amazement as people scramble frantically to complete papers while worrying about the next day all while I question the world, confused, perplexed with anguish. Why would I want to be a gear in the machine? I want to be the operator! Why don’t people open their eyes and look at the bigger picture? Am I truly the only one that can see that my life is evaporating? I WILL be different. I need to be. I want to enjoy my life! It’s the only one I have and I don’t want it to go to waste. It is time to wake up.

Finally prepared to initiate my day, I begin to notice my breathing. Inhale. Exhale. Live. That’s what I do. That is what we do. That is all we do. That is life. That is what we’re here for. These are the basic principles of life. Anything exceeding the basic principles of our existence is all our choice. This makes all of our choices important, yet I still find that people spend such little time evaluating their choices. Choices should be wise. Most people don’t think this much on it. I certainly did not as I allowed my grades to suffer terribly. Perhaps it is too late. Perhaps it is not. I believe that nothing is too late. I choose to be more than that. My life will not fall behind and become another simple inhale-exhale human.

Departing from my house with the certainty that someday I will overcome, I push forward. Rather than befuddling myself about why people don’t see the things I do, I will work on my own bigger picture. I will enhance my own wall. I’ll create my own pictures to hang. I’ll create my own design. I will be my own individual. It is not too late. I might not know quite what I am here for yet, but I will, and it will be monumental.  Assist me in the enrichment of my being so that I may become the dictator of my life – not merely breathing. Assist me in the completion of my wall of art so that I can stupefy this world.