Fatherly Advice | Teen Ink

Fatherly Advice

September 24, 2014
By Anonymous

 The warmth of tears streaming down my face was almost comforting, but  the news that I had received surely was not. I never expected to have my life to be turned upside down with one bit of crucial information. Not once did I envision that my dad would be diagnosed with a neuromuscular disease.


My dad cannot walk without pain radiating through his body. Nor can he ever take a deep breath again, but he does not let this stop him. Given my young age, I did not fully understand the situation at the time of his diagnosis. I was engulfed in my seemingly perfect childhood years without a worry in the world. Sadly, that all changed when my dad’s body started to slowly deteriorate. He could no longer keep up with my siblings and I due to his muscles becoming damaged gradually overtime. The more time that had passed, the worse his condition became. To this day, my father continues to press forward in his profession to support my family despite the simplest tasks being almost unbearable for him.
   

  Although my father cannot walk well, he still has not given up on trying to do simple everyday things. Most fathers can do yard work and still go about their day, but the same cannot be said for mine. If my dad did not have this disease, I would not be so experienced in many different things. I am my dad’s hands, his legs, but most of all, his muscles. My father is the source of most of the information that consumes my thoughts on a daily basis. He is the brain as I am the body. This has helped me learn to take orders while being able to execute them efficiently. He becomes out of breath simply from walking from one side of the room to the other, but he does not let that stop him. He is the most determined human being I have ever had the pleasure of being around.
 

   My dad had a one in four chance of having his disease, Pompe. Both of his parents were carriers for it and they ended up having four children. Due to this disease being genetic, my parents had tests run on my brother, sister and I to see if we had it. Surprisingly, I did not find myself worried whether I had the disease or not because my dad does not let it control his life. When the results did come in, the doctor had told us that none of us had the disease. However, all three of us are carriers of the disease. If one of our spouses are also a carrier for the same disease, there is a one in four chance in our children having Pompe.


     I will not let this treacherous possibility stop me from achieving my many goals in life. I will be ready for what is to come in my future thanks to my father. He has taught me that the only way to succeed in life is through determination. Although the disease does not affect me physically, it has prepared me mentally for the trials that are to come for my future. If my dad can live with a disease while managing daily life,  I can fight any battle that may come my way.