My Greatest Fail | Teen Ink

My Greatest Fail

July 31, 2014
By Viola.B. SILVER, Ashgabat, Other
Viola.B. SILVER, Ashgabat, Other
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls.























Joseph Gampbell


I don’t remember how I got this ball. In fact, it was in my hands and I had no idea what to do with it. I hesitated a little bit and saw how the members of another team were all running at me. At this moment I was overwhelmed by fear and in order not to be attacked by them, I just gave my rivals what they wanted.

I was just playing a basketball with my class in Physical Education and when the game was over, my team was watching me with piercing, wicked glance. I knew that they would express their discontent about what I’d done and they were totally right because it was my fault. I wanted to be out of their sight at that moment, so I quickly went to the changing room. At the same time, another team was passing by, smiling and saying “Thanks” to me.

When I came out of the room, my team was already standing by the door, waiting for me. I knew that they wouldn’t beat me, but I was shaking like a rabbit, surrounded by snakes. As I thought, they started blaming me for their loss. I said that they shouldn’t be so upset because we were playing only at Physical Education and they wouldn’t get any prize for their victory, but they didn’t want to listen. In a few minutes, when this accusation was over, they left me where I was standing.

The next lesson of P.E., teacher allocated the class in two teams like the last time. The captain of my team almost begged the teacher to exchange me with another student, but she refused and said that they should give me one more chance. The captain came up to me and said not to touch the ball and not to do anything but running backwards and forwards, pretending that I am in game. I nodded with guiltiness.

When the game began, nobody tossed me the ball. Everybody was playing among each other, ignoring me and at first, I liked such position. My team was losing again and, this time it wasn’t my fault. I was watching it with some sadness and burning with desire to help them. I thought that I had to atone for my guilt and do my best to help them win.

I made a deep breath in and ran to the person who had the ball. He was so shocked because he didn’t expect me to act like this and when he hesitated, I quickly took away the ball from him. Then the battle began. Everybody started attacking me while my team was watching me in disbelief. It was really hard not to let this ball be caught, but I was forcing my way to the basket, thinking about victory. When I was standing near it I threw the ball to the basket without hesitation. It was the most exciting moment in my life. The ball was making the circles at the top of the basket and we all were waiting it to fall. In a few seconds it did. I screamed without the belief that the miracle had just happened and I heard that somebody screamed behind my back too. When I turned around, I saw that it wasn’t my team laughing. They stood with their eyes on the floor, shaking their heads while another team was applauding me. I asked what was going on and the captain of my team, looking at me angrily, said:” Congratulations! You made a goal into your own basket.”

I went to home with some disappointment. But later, I understood the impact of this experience on me. Thanks to it, I learned not to give up despite the difficulties that I face. Even if I fail at something, that also will be a good lesson for me. So, I will always try new things, whether I am good or bad at it.