Music in My Life This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

For a young person with little experience, music can be a hard concept, especially singing. At the age of nine, I stepped into the field of music. ­Little did I know that it would be life-changing.

My story begins in 2001. My mother asked if I would be interested in singing. I hadn’t given it much thought. She suggested I join the Phoenix Boys Choir. She explained what it was and how successful it had always been. I decided to try out.

When I arrived, I met the conductor in charge of the younger boys. She had me sing “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.” A few moments later the conductor announced that I had passed my audition and would soon be a member of the training choir. I was so thrilled I couldn’t say a word. This would turn out to be one of the most memorable moments of my life. I was going to be a member of the internationally known Phoenix Boys Choir!

I moved up through the levels of the choir quickly. Every boy longs to be in the most elite group – the Tour Choir. After two years, I made it. At 11 I had learned more about music than I could possibly have imagined. I learned music theory and how to read music. By the end of seventh grade I had been to Spain, Italy, and France. In Rome we performed at Saint Peter’s Basilica. It was a blessing to be able to sing in such a holy setting. We also sang in the Florence Cathedral. We traveled around the United States ­performing with other choirs. Often we sang for ­dignitaries.

I think God blessed me with this talent because he wanted me to share my voice with others. I’ve heard it said that when you sing, you pray twice. I have learned hundreds of songs. We sing in many languages, and since our director always explains the songs’ meaning, I understand and really become part of the music.

If my mother had not inspired me to try something out of my comfort zone, I never would have experienced what the world of music has to offer. More importantly, I might not have unveiled my true self if it were not for my mom and sing­ing. Singing makes me happy, and it is a huge part of who I am.

I hope to keep singing and increasing my knowledge of music. I have graduated from the Phoenix Boys Choir, and I now sing with the phenomenal Mens Choir, a group for former Boys Choir members, which has provided me with many opportunities. Last February, I took part in the American Choral ­Directors Association Honors Choir of 186 students chosen from five states. Because of this, I was offered a scholarship to the Idyllwild Music Aca­demy for summer camp to become a better singer. Unfortunately I couldn’t attend.

I am very grateful for all I have accomplished musically and want to keep striving to become a superior musician. God has blessed me with the gift of music, and I’d love to share it with others so that they too can find the music in their lives.

Conan4869 said...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 8:05 am
I can't agree with the author more! I like this article very much.

Nguyenkhanhtran said...
Aug. 8, 2012 at 6:54 am
Music..even though i'm not a good singer, i still sing everyday, it heals, patch my wounds, and inspire me. It reminds of 'Sing' by the Carpenters...ah, how so many of us sung happy songs when we're a child, not caring whether it's good or bad! In music, I find love, and feelings that God care for. Often too, they're promises, so many good songs have love as a foundation. And so are courage, tragedy, life. So, this is a person's promise, and music is his bow, let it s... (more »)

MAnoj said...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 8:18 am

it was very intresting journey when the guys started their career in music.

is's so goood nice.......................

marieney said...
This is a great essay! Your love of music is extremely evident. I know a lot of guys who were in the Phoenix Boys Choir and now I can see how it impacts a former member :)

carlathepianist said...
Wow. it really is amazing how one feels to discover a truly God-given gift and talent! Nicely written. I've been playing piano for a long time now, and I do know how you feel, or maybe I'm still in the middle of that stage right now! I feel grateful to God for also blessing me as well with a wonderful talent in music =)  Again-great piece of work!

chrissyclarinetist said...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 11:08 am
im not a very good singer, but i do play the clarinet, and i feel totaly free when im playing, so i kind of know how u feel when u sing. great piece of literature man lol. keep up the good work and keep writing. and singing =)

mikamika94 said...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 10:28 am
This is a wonderful article! You've had so many amazing experiences that it truly makes me envious. I've been singing since I was seven (also encouraged by my mom) and it is my life so I understand perfectly how you feel. I've also performed with an ADCA choir. It's a great experience, isn't it?

writer24/7/365 said...
i absolutely love this!

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That is amazing! Music is my life and such a powerful force, and it's amazing how far you got with it when you were so young. Nice!

kiran Y.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Must have been a nice experience. Everybody should try something out of his comfort zone.

Jordon said...
wow.

lindy said...
wow. u enspire me soo much. wow