The Big Jump | Teen Ink

The Big Jump

December 11, 2013
By Anonymous

I’ve been trying to do this for six years now. Every time I’ve chickened out, but this year? This is the year that I will finally make that jump and show everyone that when I put my mind to something, I don’t give up will I have accomplished it.
“Ready?” he asks.
I look at him, then back to the jump. My heart pounds as adrenaline rushes through my veins. I think just do it Emily. I look back at him and say “I’m ready.”

We put our helmets on and switch the four-wheelers into gear. He takes off first.

We head up the hill. The sound of the engines, the smell of gasoline, and the sight of sand are pushed up behind us.

I reach the top of the pit and watch my brother head towards the jump. He hits the jump and flies into the air. His tires land on the ground.
“Perfect,” I whisper.

I head towards the jump. I almost hit the brakes, but I talk myself out of it. I hit the jump and go flying, I lift off the seat, I hold on as tightly as possible. Up,up,up. I feel like I am never going to come down but finally I do. Falling out of the sky, with nothing attached to me. I’m floating.

BAM. I hit the ground. I slam down on the seat and push on the brakes. The four-wheeler stops. I take my helmet off and stare into the woods. I couldn’t believe what I had just done. I finally did it! My brother runs over to me and says, “Emily, you did it.”


The author's comments:
True Story