The Pages of My Life | Teen Ink

The Pages of My Life

December 11, 2013
By Edward Brandenburg SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Edward Brandenburg SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Whenever I am down, whenever I am lost, I find myself engrossed in a novel. There I find my Zen, I am content. Reading is a way I have learned to cope with the world. It is my haven. I have become a part of book, each novel affects me. You can notice them between the pages of my life. You can see them in the way that I carry myself, or in the depth of my eyes. I am somewhere off remembering a worthy story. I have become the knight trying to win a maiden’s hand. I have become a philosopher trying to figure out my purpose. I have become a man designating his life to finding how to live.

Of all the ways I have found so far, reading is by far the greatest way to live. I become immersed into a book which I cannot set down for more than five minutes, without having to pick it up once more. My universe becomes the story. I end up abusing my arms nightly by holding up books. It is worth it.

I am passionate. I get attached. When reading, I become so attentive and involved in a character’s life, that I end up feeling like I have become that character. I walk around for days imagining my character interacting with the story. I don’t relive the plot—I create my own additions to further the story. I make my own story, one where the protagonist and I adventurously set off. The story burrows into my bones and I cannot root it out. I would never want to, because it has become a part of me.

When I read, I form connections unconsciously. . I create bonds with protagonists that are so strongly forged—that when they feel pain, If a character and I share one characteristic—then I notice others. I feel their pains—their happiness. When they overcome obstacles, so do I. We create a bond forged from my ability to understand the character, so powerful that it has become undefinable—beyond comprehension.

You cannot fathom the complex bonds formed between the characters and I. Our connection is everlasting. When I read, there is an unspoken agreement—that no matter what, I will be there to witness. I will understand. And, I will continue reading. Yet, our bond is unstable—if startled or uprooted, it shies away. I have to approach with care. Like a fire, I have to slowly kindle it. If I start too fast, the bond extinguishes. But, with time and care it becomes magnificent.

I wanted to write about literature. How important it is. How I surround myself with stories. Fiction, romance, fantasy.

In order to truly live, you have to live the life of thousands of others. I have done that. I have lived thousands of lives. I have lived because of literature.