College essay | Teen Ink

College essay

December 11, 2013
By Anna Belson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Anna Belson SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

PA slight tug on the back of my leotard breaks my concentration. As I gaze down, I am greeted by a set of eyes, engulfed with excitement and pride. Then I see it. My lips quiver as I try to keep my smile plastered on my face. Maybe she didn’t notice my reaction to her missing arm. Her mouth opens, and then closes. She noticed. Her eyes dart everywhere but me as her cheeks flush pink.

“Thanks. Because if you could do it, maybe I can too!”

What did I do? I don’t even know you, or at least I don’t think I know you...oh. Memories seared in my mind come rushing back...

“Anna B?” I salute both arms in acknowledgement to the head judge Linda. As I approach the floor, her brow rises as puzzlement floods her face. But I stand ready. As the audience sees me, their whispers seem to suffocate my air—

“She’s not going to compete—is she?”

“O-M-G! Do you see that girl’s right arm?”

“How will she be able to do floor?”

I lay on the floor ready to begin my first pose. I take a gander past my elbow where a bright
purple cast reminds me of the audience’s doubts.

“How can she possibly do gymnastics with a broken arm and wrist?”

The music starts and my routine begins. I approach the corner-ready. One foot picks up in front of the other. Left, right, left, right-hurdle. My left arm stretches down and blocks off the floor as I turn myself over to my feet. I rise up into the air perfectly straight. My eyes search for the wall, then the ceiling as my arms crank left. Everything blurs as my mind races to take over. Half. Full. One and a half—here. I spread my arms and my muscles tense as my body reaches for the floor. The whispering died into shouts of encouragement and disbelief.
“She just tumbled on one arm…”

My eyes flash open to see the little girl staring at the empty space below her shoulder.

“I never thought it was possible. But I saw you and well, I wanted to try.”

A broken arm and wrist didn’t hinder my ability to perform gymnastics, it gave me an opportunity to prove myself. My head does not surrender to setbacks. My hands embrace new challenges. My heart swells with determination and pride.