College Essay | Teen Ink

College Essay

December 11, 2013
By Anonymous

It was a typical day in sophomore math class. Fighting through the nauseating smell of dry erase marker, twenty-seven kids were willing their eyelids open. We were trying to grasp some abstract concept when a student questioned, "Are we really ever going to use this the rest of our lives?" Assuredly, this mystery had crossed my mind, but I was never brave enough to ask. It was Mr. Leoni's answer that began to change my outlook on learning. He said, "Sometimes school isn't about learning facts or practical things. It's about learning how to think."

A former basketball coach, one of his favorite life lessons was, "It's okay to make mistakes." He called practice problems "lay-up drills." It didn't matter if you missed them so long as you learned from the mistakes and showed up for "game time." Being a perfectionist, I learned to relax and take chances without fear of failure. Since then, I've found learning to be worth every effort.

In pursuing a career in mechanical engineering, I realize there are no bounds for future technology. The latest and greatest will quickly become the old and outdated. Now more than ever, I can apply Mr. Leoni's advice to my career path. While computers, programs, and jobs may change, the engineer who knows how to solve problems with an exciting and economical approach will always be in high demand.

As I prepare for the rigors of college, I realize how much I grew in my sophomore math class. Mr. Leoni turned me into a mathematically inclined and mature student. He taught me more than just logarithms and matrices, he taught me the value of learning.