My Greatest Teacher | Teen Ink

My Greatest Teacher

August 15, 2008
By Leslie Duclos BRONZE, Attleboro, Massachusetts
Leslie Duclos BRONZE, Attleboro, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

To Whom It May Concern:


A dog is a mans best friend. To some he is a faithful hunter and to others he is merely a couch decoration. To me, my dog is my greatest teacher. The beagle breed is known for it’s skills as a hunter, it’s loyalty and also for it’s affection. My beagle has all those qualities but she is also a blithering idiot. Murphy’s goofiness and love of life teaches me something new each day. She teaches me to appreciate waking up every morning and how to push my limits to see how far I can go.


As a young puppy, Murphy ate something that had gone bad. She was taken to an animal hospital. I woke up that morning and did not find her. All day I was scared and upset. I got through a day of work worrying and wondering. That night when I went to go pick her up, she took one look at me and was glowing with happiness. Her tail was going a mile a minute. It was at that minute that I knew everything would be ok. I knew we’d get through it together. This is when she taught me, even then, kindness. Now, everyday without fail I come home to a radiant puppy who will hug and kiss me just as long as she can stay on her hind legs. While not impossible to get angry with Murphy , it is almost impossible to resist her big brown eyes.




Without Murphy, my life would not be as easy to get through. While searching for a puppy who would bloom into a good show dog, I was on the fence about three different breeds. I ultimately chose the beagle. While it hasn’t been the easiest choices, it will always be one of my best made and one I will never regret. Respect is something that is not plentiful and must be saved. Murphy does not always listen to me but we have a bond, a respect for each other that cannot be described. We’re best friends and equals but when the time comes she knows who is the Alpha. Roger Caras once said “Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” Murphy has been the infamous missing piece to my life. I took one look at her and everything fit. She has taught me humility.


Even if Murphy is not the smartest of creatures, her instinct is amazing. Murphy has taught me the rules of the pack. Her skills as a hunter, while not practiced, are there so instinctively. Her knowledge of where the bunny is continues to amaze me. Murphy has taught me temperance and diligence.


While not a perfect relationship, Murphy’s’ and my bond is strong and can survive almost anything. I still have much to learn about Murphy as she has a lot to learn about me . We understand each other. I hope to give her my all every day. As some one once said, “ He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”