My future | Teen Ink

My future

College. An experience almost every adolescent looks forward to. From the classes, your education, the school activities, to the fraternities, the parties, and the new people. The freedom: you’re finally an adult.

I've always wanted to attend college. But, in my case I didn't have the choice. Coming from a long line of educators, I was raised to go to school, graduate, and make a life for myself. From the beginning, my parents instilled in me that education is top priority. You could always improve you’re grades and you could always do better. With determination and hard work you could accomplish almost anything. Without an education I wouldn’t be able to pursue a career. I also wouldn’t be able to become a nurse or own my own business. My dad went to college under difficult circumstances. He didn’t grow up from much and didn’t have much money. However, my father did graduate with a major in music education. Now, he has his doctorate degree and a steady career in education. This is something that I will always carry with me. That is one of the main reasons why I feel that college is the important next step in my life.

Now that my time in high school is coming to a close, I feel as though a new door is opening. I am ready to meet new people and make new friends. I want to create a new social space for myself; getting involved not only in the social life but involved in the school activities. I cannot wait for my experience in college to begin. I’m so excited for this new chapter. Endeavoring into this new realm of possibilities will help shape my future for years to come.