Gone. | Teen Ink

Gone.

By Megan Schwartz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Megan Schwartz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Gone. My best friend walks out the door, never to cook here again, never to punch the timecard once more, and never to join in a laugh with my second family. She’s moving on to bigger restaurants and a better life.

Gone. Another family member leaves for a real career. I don’t remember the last time I walked through those doors without seeing her in the kitchen window.

Gone. This one moved to California to pursue his passion. I don’t blame him. I’m ready to do the same thing—to make my dreams a reality.

We all have our passions in life—passions that define us and make us who we are. Unfortunately, not all people pursue a career involving their passions. But I do.
I work six days a week, train my horse and myself in multiple disciplines of riding, and still maintain high grades. I live this stressful schedule all in the name of riding—my passion, my dream, and now, my life. It’s been my dream since age five to have a life surrounded by horses. This dream has evolved into a passion, and now I’m in the midst of making it my life—it’s my greatest goal.

My peers are undecided with what they want to do with their lives, so I ask them, what do you love to do? My best friend loves to cook. My brother would rather do hard, physical labor than have an office job. My sister is a music freak. I love working with horses. These passions have shaped us into the people we are today: driven, committed, and passionate.
When I tell these people I’m going to miss them and wish they wouldn’t leave, I’m speaking the truth. However I can’t help but feel a pang of guilt. But I know when my time comes, I’ll do exactly the same thing—I’ll live my dream of a life surrounded by horses.