Gone. | Teen Ink

Gone.

November 30, 2012
By Megan Schwartz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Megan Schwartz BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Gone. My best friend walks out the door, never to cook here again, never to punch the timecard once more, and never to join in a laugh with my second family. She’s moving on to bigger restaurants and a better life.

Gone. Another family member leaves for a real career. I don’t remember the last time I walked through those doors without seeing her in the kitchen window.

Gone. This one moved to California to pursue his passion. I don’t blame him. I’m ready to do the same thing—to make my dreams a reality.

We all have our passions in life—passions that define us and make us who we are. Unfortunately, not all people pursue a career involving their passions. But I do.
I work six days a week, train my horse and myself in multiple disciplines of riding, and still maintain high grades. I live this stressful schedule all in the name of riding—my passion, my dream, and now, my life. It’s been my dream since age five to have a life surrounded by horses. This dream has evolved into a passion, and now I’m in the midst of making it my life—it’s my greatest goal.

My peers are undecided with what they want to do with their lives, so I ask them, what do you love to do? My best friend loves to cook. My brother would rather do hard, physical labor than have an office job. My sister is a music freak. I love working with horses. These passions have shaped us into the people we are today: driven, committed, and passionate.
When I tell these people I’m going to miss them and wish they wouldn’t leave, I’m speaking the truth. However I can’t help but feel a pang of guilt. But I know when my time comes, I’ll do exactly the same thing—I’ll live my dream of a life surrounded by horses.