My Secret Life | Teen Ink

My Secret Life

By Laurel Weimar BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Laurel Weimar BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My eyes skimmed from the pages of The Hatchet to the clock on the wall. Seven more hours. And then, everything went dark.
I woke on the floor of my classroom. The lights were off. I was no longer surrounded by classmates, but instead my teacher, principal, and some medics. Is this a dream? Am I sleeping?

At the hospital, the doctors referred me to a neurologist. That day was the beginning of living with epilepsy. This is the unique community I became a part of when I was thirteen.

There are fundraisers and dinners that I attended. I felt alone, because no one at my school was like me. My mom used to take me to them to show me that I am not the only person living with this disorder. The people I met because of those dinners helped me keep living my life the way I wanted to. The people who have epilepsy also have intricate goals that a diagnosis could never affect.

As a part of such a community, I want to go out in the world and prove that I can be successful while living with a complex disorder. I want to accomplish my goal of becoming a geneticist and decoding genetic disorders. Then one day I can return to a foundation dinner and say, “I did it, and I believe you can, too.” I’m going to inspire those kids who sat where I did, because I could’ve never come this far without them.

on Dec. 7 2012 at 12:36 pm
E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
This is a very inspiring article, and I hope the writer accomplishes their goals.

on Dec. 5 2012 at 9:00 pm
iam4evermyself PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois

"Hope. It is the only thing greater than fear. A little hope is effective. A lot of hope is dangerous. A spark is okay, as long as it's contained."

This truly tells about m, and in inspring