Leave it to the universe? | Teen Ink

Leave it to the universe?

By alex77 GOLD, Sofia, Other
alex77 GOLD, Sofia, Other

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." - E. B. White

Don Zadra once said: “It is more probable that your attitude, rather than your aptitude will determine your altitude in life.”
As we grow up we are incessantly pelted with questions of the manner – “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Instead of ballerinas and pirates, we become high-achievers. We pursue the satisfaction of accomplishment in every aspect of our personhood. Therefore, our lives are entirely dependent on schedulers, cautious timing and grandiose plans whose sole purpose is to lead us to victory. In all probability we are prompted to think about our future for the first time as we enter the world of the classroom. There the nebulous concept “success” takes shape. We realize that every achievement brings about merits and rewards – a smiley face, a chocolate bar or a pound. It happens so that this makes us crave for more approval and recognition. So we work to rule, planning carefully every move we make, every step we take along the path towards success. We are taught that if we are diligent, manage our time scrupulously and complete our tasks conscientiously, we are prone to succeed.
Nevertheless, sometimes obstructions get in the way and our plans come to nothing. No one is to blame because even though we try to schedule our life and dwindle all uncertainties and ventures, we are not in charge of everything. There are factors independent of our will, power and control. We just have to grapple with them and move on. What profoundly matters in this case is your reaction and attitude to the situation. What are you going to do now that your dog has eaten your paper and you’ve got less than an hour to rewrite it? Some of you are deathly convinced that redoing the assignment is mission impossible. Others would settle down and deal with the task at hand – hope of success flickering in their eyes. Taking risks sometimes pays off – you might get lucky and not be picked to read the essay. But would you hazard your excellent grade when all you’ve been yearning for this whole year is success? I don’t think so!
It is all about your attitude and self-esteem. Should you believe in yourself and work hard for what you strive to accomplish, you will eventually achieve your objectives regardless of last-minute calamities. Playing it safe is unassailably the best solution but when things get out of control gambling with your own success can be precarious.
You are in the driver’s seat, however – you choose the road!