Uncontrollable Situation

When you are born, there are things that you cannot control. In life, there are roadblocks that are set in our way that we must overcome. I have known for a considerable amount of time that I was different. This used to trouble me and cause me to focus only on my shortcomings, but as I have grown, I have switched my focus to my strengths. I discovered just how different I was in 1st grade.

In kindergarten and 1st grade, I was having a particularly difficult time trying to read. This was alarming to my parents because I tested in the top percentiles for my age in all other subjects. My parents then arranged to have me tested for learning disabilities and discovered that I was a dyslexic. Prior to the diagnosis it felt like we were just poking around in the dark, but when we knew the cause, we finally had a target.

Although it was a relief to know the cause, we now had a new goal of trying to get help for the problem. We first went to the principal of the private school I was attending to try to see what, if any, extra help I could get at the school. As it turned out, they did not have any way to help me with my dyslexia. After a short phone call, we discovered that I wasn’t eligible for the public school programs.

I am very thankful that this next option was a possibility because of my socio-economic status. We turned to private tutors. After a search of the tutors in the area, my parents chose one that had a doctorate, from Northwestern, in learning disabilities. With her help, I have been able to overcome the majority of problems that are caused by my dyslexia and have since grown into a person who loves literature.

I understand that although my problem may be common, the help that I have gotten in the attempt to overcome it, is not. I’m very thankful that my parents were able to get me help from private tutors. I will end with a response my mom once gave someone for why I don’t use Individual Education Programs, “Out in the work world he won’t get any extra time for assignments, so he needs to learn to use his strengths to compensate.”