Firm Beliefs | Teen Ink

Firm Beliefs

Firm Beliefs

"I grew up a neglected weed-ignorant of liberty and having no experience of it." Those were the words spoken by the famous Harriet Tubman. Harriet never felt happy, nor content, she always felt uneasy. She feared a white man would carry her away. Harriet helped over 300 slaves escape to freedom during the Civil War. She organized scouts, and she cared for orphans. Harriet used her difficult childhood of living on a plantation to help guide others to achieve their own dreams. During her extraordinary lifetime, Harriet Tubman affected the lives of others in a positive way. That's why we should have a national holiday to venerate her and all of her accomplishments.

During her lifetime, Harriet lent a helping hand to others. After escaping slavery herself, Harriet wanted to help others as well. She became a conductor in a secret group known as the Underground Railroad, and freed up to 300 slaves. Being involved in the Underground Railroad, Harriet knew if she didn't succeed in freeing slaves, they would be returned to their owners and they would be tortured. She knew she had to save the slaves because then they would die. She became known as "Moses,” for slave owners knew her capabilities, bravery, and how skilled and resourceful she was. After all, they offered a 40,000 dollar reward for her capture. What a strong, intelligent women to honor! If we didn't have her, some slaves would have died on the plantations, and some of them would have lived terrible lives. As for Harriet, she helped them escape their dreadful of a life, and start a new one. That's why we should have a national holiday to honor her.

By her being secretive, mysterious, sneaky, thievish, Harriet Tubman once again lent out her arm with a lot to give. Not only did she help during the Underground Railroad, but also she helped during the Civil War. During the Civil War, she organized former slaves to spy and scout networks. They operated behind the Confederate lines, from bases on islands off the coast of the Carolinas. She knew where they were hiding along the shore, and even found out where they had placed torpedoes, and barrels with gunpowder in the water. Harriet became known as the first woman in American history to lead a military expedition. For in order to be in the military, she needed to be brave, and she needed to risk her life for the sake of others. During this time, Harriet said she, "decided to help the Union Army because she wanted freedom for all of the people who were forced into slavery, not just the few she could help by herself." Harriet helped many slaves, and helped the Union army during the Civil War. She might even affected the outcome of the war. That's why we need a national holiday to remember her bravery.

Harriet Tubman showed having empathy for someone goes a long way. After the Civil War ended, Harriet cared for invalid blacks, orphans, and the elderly. She moved in with her parents in Auburn, New York, and began taking in orphans and the elderly. This practice eventually led to the foundation of the Harriet Tubman Home of the Indigent Aged Negroes, which stayed in practice until several years after her death. Being friendly, kind, caring, and brave goes a long way. Harriet Tubman is an excellent role model for others. Americans should celebrate her practices and kindness in a national holiday for a special woman in American history.

Harriet Tubman is an extraordinary woman. Over her long life of 93 years, she has affected the lives of millions. Her positive attitude toward negativity makes her an excellent role model. That is why Americans need a national holiday to venerate all the good she has done for America. After all, there is a civic holiday declared in her honor in Auburn, New York (her hometown). New York has recognized her good deeds, why not the rest of the country?

?????? said...
on Aug. 26 2008 at 1:04 am
Reading this article and showing it to my daughter showed her what a GREAT woman Harriet Tubman is. M, bing an english teacher...enjoyed reading the persuasive end of the article. VERY CONVINCING!!!! ALL TEACHERS SHOULD SHARE THIS WITH THEIR CLASS! P.S- This article showed my husband how much one WOMAN can impact so many others

bernadette said...
on Aug. 12 2008 at 1:24 pm
I found this article informative and insightful.The author not only take note of the larger more obvious accomplishments of Harriet Tubman. She also points out areas where she helped not only those in close proximity to her, but slaves and members of the Union army. Also, after the war, indignent blacks. I feel the author persuaded me to agree that she should have a national holiday. She impressed me with her admiration of the honorable works of Harriet Tubman. Great work Ali M.!

mary said...
on Aug. 11 2008 at 2:29 pm
Very impressive and informative article! The author illustrated her point throughout the article with examples of achievements, and was very persuasive in convincing the reader to support the move in honoring Ms Tubman with a national holiday in her honor. I found the article to be a very interesting read!