Stereotypical Rap and Hip-hop | Teen Ink

Stereotypical Rap and Hip-hop

May 20, 2008
By Anonymous

Today rap and hip-hop music has been controversial in the question—is rap and hip-hop music perpetuating negative stereotypes or just trying to discover the voice in young black culture? Most people seem to get the idea that all rap and hip-hop music is “trash,” but they never take the time to truly listen to this music. Yes, maybe most of this music uses the “N-word,” “pictures blacks as gangsters, thugs and amoral criminals” and “ uses young half-naked women as sex toys” (Williams); yet, are those the only things they say? These artists, not just black, but white as well, place an impact on the lives of some children to do the right things and encourage them not mess up like they did. Rap and Hip-hop appeal to be mostly violent; however, aren’t these artist just sharing their experiences with us?
A picture of 50 Cent’s album cover “Get Rich or Die Tryin’” shows a young African American with a diamond necklace, no shirt and pants hanging low. How does this appeal to people who have never heard his music? Most people would look away from this, but they seem to miss the true story behind it all. Did you know that 50 cent got shot eight times and survived? He puts a hope and a desire in children who live in the “hood.”
Take it from the eyes of someone who has learned from hip-hop—“Hip-hop taught me more about real life than anything I learned that year in class” (Walker). As young children engage themselves in rap and hip-hop culture, these children begin to be more susceptible to this “overly violent” and “overly sexual” (Williams) culture being created; however, these children may just be trying to find their true inner voice.