Apollo 13 | Teen Ink

Apollo 13

Apollo 13

The Apollo 13 mission to the moon may have been the most miraculous event in history. Not only were the astronauts able to make it through any obstacle they faced, but they used their intellect in every situation. Set in the 1960’s, the Americans were still dreaming of landing on the moon. Although it had already been done by Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, NASA wanted to do it again. Piloted by Jim Lovell, Jack Swigert, and Fred Haise, the story of Apollo 13 was very interesting.

In order for the crew to safely survive in space, they had hours of simulations and other preparations. If one thing went wrong, the whole mission could be ruined and the crew could be killed. For months before the launch, they’re forced to go into the simulation, where they’re faced with dealing with many different problems. If the astronauts didn’t solve the problem in time, they would have to keep trying until they finally mastered. Any situation that NASA could think of, the crew would have to handle it, no matter how tough it may have been.

Finally, the day of the launch came. Once the astronauts were fully prepared to head to space, they would review their training and go to the launch site. Once they’re all ready inside the spaceship, they’re given sixty seconds before blast off. During that time, the crew made sure everything in the ship was set. If something was wrong, they would report it to NASA, and depending on how important it is, the mission may have to be aborted. But, since everything was alright, the launch continued on and the crew went to space.

After getting through all the phases of getting through space, such as releasing certain parts of the shuttle and preparing their landing craft, they realize something’s wrong. Their oxygen tanks exploded! Knowing that the one problem can cause numerous others in the system, they’re forced to shut off the main power of the shuttle. To add on to the fact that they’re running low on oxygen, the find out there’s too much carbon dioxide in the ship. After solving that with an oxygen scrubber, they’re informed that they’re not lined up perfectly with the earth. After carefully aligning themselves, they’re able to land safely back on earth.

Even though Apollo 13 never made it to the moon, the event still made history. No matter what the astronauts were faced with, they were able to overcome it, which can teach you that even when you think something’s impossible, you still get through it. And sometimes, teamwork can be the answer to everything.