The Abandoned Cabin | Teen Ink

The Abandoned Cabin

May 19, 2008
By Anonymous

I heard all sorts of noises, especially birds that were chirping their problems away. As we walked by, we heard the stream roaring down moving to the lake, and the wind rushing past us through the trees. The wind was yelling at us as if we were an intruder to their territory. Although, it was very peaceful. All throughout the walk, I was in relax mode. I wasn't pondering much, just what I might see around the next corner.

My dog came with us. She loves to run around outside in uncharted territory. She never gets lost because she always stays within the vicinity of us. She enjoys to roam around searching for signs of anything else that has previously been there. She is black and white, mostly black but has some white on her stomach. She sometimes has a small cowlick that stays with her on her head. She is extremely lucky we found her, because before we owned her, she lived in an abusive home. All she ever wants from us is attention, and love. I guess she expects quite a lot from us.

Along our trip we started to get fairly muddy and it felt as if we were in quicksand. We were smart enough to later avoid the mud, but in some areas there was just no way. As we got further in, the quieter it grew. Then, as we turned the next corner, we noticed a huge tree that must have been over 100 years old. It was huge! It looked as if it would touch the clouds in the sky. I felt like climbing it, but decided not to, because it was just too big. Then as we persevered even though our feet were killing us, we met the lake. The lake was really nice, and looked like a sheet of glass reflecting the light from the sun back into the atmosphere. We enjoyed taking a short break here and talked a little bit of what we saw.

It was only on our way back when we figured out that there was a cabin along the shore. It was extremely old, and looked like it was about to fall apart. Just as we gazed upon the cabin, a massive eagle swooped down not too far from us in the lake and snagged an ample trout. It was amazing. I could practically hear the bones of the fish just crack under the pressure the eagle was applying, and could feel the air of the eagle rush past me. The wingspan must have been over 7 feet long! As we watched this elegant beast we realized how small, weak, and plain we humans actually are.

As the eagle made its ascent, we gazed into the awkward looking cabin and decided to enter it. As we proceeded in, we saw some bats fly out from inside the cabin. Then we noticed that the chimney was almost all broken and tumbled over. It smelled very old inside, and also smelled like rotting food. Not knowing what exactly the horrible stench was we started to head back.

There was no doubt that this walk had its excitement, but that wasn't the end. On our way back I fell over a rock, and gashed my knee. It felt soft now and was definitely bleeding. It was sort of painful, but me being me I laughed. I laugh at pain. It entertains me. I figured that I wanted to get home and wash it out anyway, just to be on the safe side. I didn't want it to get infected.

I was walking home, and my dog started to go haywire. All I heard was "bark bark bark." Later I found out that there was a coyote right in front of us. My dog was held by my dad. It didn't take her long to get free, and she chased it, I was worried. Normally she is extremely smart, and wouldn't do that. She ran it down, and then we called her and she came running back to us. I think that she was just over curious, and decided that she would take it upon herself to go and find out what exactly it was doing there.

When I got home my mother was looking at my knee with aww. She then took me into the bathroom and helped me clean it. I personally liked the fact that I was going to have a huge mark on my knee by the end of the next day. I enjoyed looking at it and remembering the pain. Then all of a sudden, I heard another few barks, and looked outside. All I saw was a quick flash of black, and a spot of red. I was scared.